hot truck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 07:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hot truck

I have a 89 Jimmy GMC full size with a 350 with a 160 therm. I was wandering if i replace my fan with an electric would it be cooler and what would be a good fan size for a 350 what cfm, 4 core outer oil and trans cooler. I was looking at one in summit that was 2100 cfm I have the upper fan shroud but no the lower. Is that enough cfm and if i put the electric fan on should i leave the should on? Thank for your oppinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 07:39 PM

Re: hot truck

<font face="Comic Sans MS">You'd need a lot more air flow than that 2100cfm could provide. Why no lower fan shroud? The upper shroud is worthless without the lower. It's designed as a complete set. If you can't get it to fit right, buy some of the aluminum stuff they use for ducts in houses and bend some up so it fits around the fan which is what it needs to function right. Make sure you seal it well around the edges. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Without that lower shroud the fan just blows air around the engine compartment, with the complete shroud it can only draw air through the radiator. And that pulls lots of air through it, which is how the cooling works.

You might want to go with a 180 or 195 thermostat. (It makes sure that the coolant stays in contact with the radiator and engine longer to make sure heat is dissipated and picked up as efficiently as possible) Make sure to get a good brand. Robert Shaw seems to be a good choice. If it doesn't already have one, drill a smallish hole in the flat area of it to let any air that might get trapped escape. Are your oil and transmission coolers both in front of the radiator? If so then there's another problem. Those coolers will not only block air flow through the radiator, but they will put hot air into the radiator so it won't cool as effectively. If possible, relocate those to somewhere else and put a fan on them. I'm eventually going to do that with mine. I'm not sure exactly how that'll happen yet though.

</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode