Off Roading Forums banner

Engine Running Odd After BIG Puddle

586 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Resurrection_Joe 
G
#1 ·
I took my aunt off roading at a small park in Cheyenne. She liked it OK, but twice when I went through puddles and once after, my engine stalled. It would run muggy a bit and then go like a champ. I want to know if I was an idiot and hurt my engine. Is there anything besides water IN the engine that will kill it. It starts and runs fine now, a little differtent idle though. Any thoughts ?

1978 K20, 355, 700R4, np208, D44, 14FF, 7" Lift, 36" TSL Radials

G
#4 ·
well your an idiot. 90K5 is dead on. I did that too,(see pics on profile link) What sucks is you can dry out the distributor then an hour later you shut it off then the condensation builds up and its wet again. RTV? I'm going try that too. If you have a paper air cleaner it is likely trashed too. If you ever hit a puddle over the hood and stall in water you need to pull plugs and crank it over, or you will destroy motor. Just a FYI incase you didnt know. When you comin home man?? I still have that number maybe I'll call later around 2am. Hey what codes did it show after it stalled, He He.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.

G
#5 ·
Nah, the puddle was maybe 2 feet at the most, just splashy, the air cleaner was a bit soggy, but not bad. A little bit of water shouldn't hurt it eh? I stalled just as I came out of the puddle.

So its the disributor you're saying? Probably, I hope. Runs fine now.

Sometimes in snow it dies too, not even a 2 foot drift, it just conks out. Hmmm, I'll seal my distributor when I get new plugs and wires (and maybe coil).

Anyway, thanks for the help.

BTW - I looked at the fender and the only code I saw was K20, is that bad?

BTWA - Those Swampers really clean and dig! Hi ho TSL!

Anymore help or thoughts will still be much appreciated.

1978 K20, 355, 700R4, np208, D44, 14FF, 7" Lift, 36" TSL Radials

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.