203 transfer case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

203 transfer case

howdy
I recently bought a 79 chevy 3/5 ton 4x4 with a 350. 400 tranny. and 203 transfer case i just had a question as to the positions on the t case i have 4 wheel hi loc which is now 2 wheel hi(part time kit installed), 4 wheel hi, 4 wheel low, and 4 wheel lo loc. my question is what is the difference between the normal 4 wheel, and the 4 wheel loc positions???? thank you for your help.

there is no substitute for cubic inches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 09:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 203 transfer case

4 hi is now 2 hi, 4 hi lok is now 4 wd High. Old system had a Viscious?? coupling that allowed the front axle to travel at differnt speed. This allowed the truck to be in 4wd on dry pavement.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I dont pretend to know all the chevy combos but are you sure you have a 400 tranny?

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yep 400 tranny...looks like a 400, takes a 400 filter and gasket.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Frankp, I got a 79' 3/4 ton 350/400 tranny and a 203 t/c also..

<font color=blue>Chris</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Kuma, How hard was the part-time unit to install??
That t/c unit is pretty screwy.. If I put my truck in 4 hi and jack up one of the front tires it will turn but none of the others will.. I would like to know exactly how that thing works too!! I thought it was kinda like a limited slip until you put it into lock.. but I'm not really sure..

<font color=blue>Chris</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:53 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">It's like an open differential when you're not in one of the "loc" positions. This is a huge bonus in the snow. For handling anyhow... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 05:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the part time kit wasnt that hard to put in dont even need to drop the t case. just a matter of pulling off the last spider gears and putting in a spacer....and then installing the new hubs. a few hours if you have the tools. one of your 4 his will become 2 wheel my 4 wheel loc is now my 2 wheel drive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode