Why are new dodge/ford so much higher then chev's? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why are new dodge/ford so much higher then chev\'s?

How come the new stock dodge trucks and new stock ford trucks are made with so much more clearance then the chevy's? Like why doesn't chevy make theirs with lots of clearance too? I know two guys in town, one has a 2001 Chevy 3/4 ton with 4" suspension lift and stock tires and the other guy has a 2000 Dodge 3/4 ton with stock lift and stock tires and the dodge still has a little more clearance when measuring from the frame to the ground.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Why are new dodge/ford so much higher then chev\'s?

My 98 dodge had lift blocks from factory and a solid axle up front. They ride pretty stiff but very capable off-road. Historically the chevy vs. dodge post are some of the longest here. Enjoy.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i dunno man, ive always wondered the same thing. me n my roommate have chevys with 3" lifts and 33s while we have two friends - one with a dodge 1500 stock height with 33s on 15x10s and one f150 stock height with 33 swampers on 15x8s. they always rag us about how we need a lift to fit the same tires, but then we rag them about their breaking down [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. anyways - thats about the only complaint i have about the chevys - oh wait, SOLID AXLE?!?!?! haha

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:46 PM

dodge makes their frames pretty much a straight height from front to back....if you look at a chevy, the frame drops down under the cab box.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:54 PM

I know some of the Dodges have an off road package that gives a few inches of lift I think. Plus, with the way GM has been going lately, they probably think thats what people want...

90K5

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:59 PM

the funny thing is, on the dodge, you can buy the offroad package(lift, shocks, 17" rims, 4.10 rear, sticker) on the 1500....but the truck still sits the same height as a HD 3/4t 4x4 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hate to say it ahh no I dont, dodges and fords are the work horses out of the big three. so they come alittle stouter than the chevys, untill GM came out wiht the new heavydutys

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 08:05 PM
Old Hand

I just think it is because Chevy is better than Ford and Dodge so they have to make up for it somehow.

97 Teal z71, 6 inch procomp, triple shock hoops, lat trac bars, 35 inch BFG MT's, K&N cold air induction, str8 pipes, hypertech programmer

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-470288-Z71-1.jpg (42.5 KB, 1 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 08:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i agree that the lack of ground clearance is caused by the drop of the frame like shorts said, but that doesnt explain wheel well size and tire clearance issues. also - i applaud dodge for having the only true "offroad package" among all manufacturers.
SHORTS - when you say the offroad 1500 sits the same height as the HD 3/4 do u mean chevy or dodge?? also, do you mean ground clearance or top of the truck height? i find it funny cause my buddys yota lifted 7" on 35s has way more ground clearance than me but our roofs are the same height

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 08:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am thinking it is probably to make the GM's ride better. The lower you can keep the driver to the ground the less he is going to feel any pitching in the vehicle. It seems it would work like an angle. The farther it goes, even though the angle is the same, the more distance between the two lines. Just my $0.02 worth [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode