removing valve covers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 05:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

removing valve covers

hey fokls, I kinda burried this question in a somewhat unrelated post, so here it is again.

I got my stainless steel, center bolt valve covers last Monday - they're gorgious, even have a red bowtie on each of 'em! Anyway, I was looking at my O.E. covers last week and noticed that the A/C compressor bracket sort-of pins down the valve cover between itself (the bracket, it kinda has a lip on the back of it) and the heads.

The question is do I have to remove the compressor and bracket just to get the old cover off? Keep in mind its a 350 Vortec, so there isn't very much room to work with in the first place.

My other question is in regard to the breather on the passenger side. From the factor, there is no breather filter, it draws air through a tube from the intake that they stuffed into the wheel well. I have since installed the K&N GenII filtercharger, but this system also draws air from the same intake that feeds the the rest of the engine. My concern is that if I put a breather filter on it, the computer may not like the change in air qty, flow, pressure, whatever (the breather hose drawing air from the main intake is AFTER the Mass Airflow Sensor)!

Anyway, if anyone has worked on Vortecs, lemme know what you think!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: removing valve covers

sorry, undertow, but i got a q for ya - where did u get your covers and how much? i like the ones from GM like you said with the bowtie but they are over $100 for just chromed steel. they have nice polished aluminum ones at the super chevy show every year for $60 so i think im gonna get a set there this year. thanks

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 06:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry, that I can't help you, but can you tell me where I can get some nice centerbolt valve covers? I cant find em in summit or anyplace. Sounds to me that you've found the ones I am looking for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mike wheres the show at?

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

undertow,
you may have to move that bracket, when I removed my valve covers on my 350 tbi motor there wasnt much room, and Im sure theres less room on yours. the thing that makes it hard is the rockers come up about half the heith of the valve cover, so they pretty much have to go striaght up,

Sorry but it sounds like that bracket has to move,

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey guys, I just double checked, they are chromed steel, NOT stainless (The people at Summit aren't always the most educated!). My bad - I got them from Summit (PRO141107) for $99.95 or something, free shipping. Apparently GM has disconitnued them (Thats according to a GM dealer, but I think that guy is out of his mind because you can still get them on GMs website.) but you might want to jump on them if they are what you are looking for.

hey mph, those aluminum pair sound real nice too, and cheaper but a) I'm not too worried about the chrome's temp retention and b) I wanted the bowtie!

But be advised: From what I know only Vortecs have center bolt covers. Good luck!

Now if someone could answer a question, maybe two (original post), there might be a cookie in the mail for ya!! <evil grin>

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks Kid - I'd rather have a heads up, than spend an hour cutting my knuckles up and swearing at the damn truck!! (Although thats part of the fun too!)

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

nope - all 87-up had the centerbolt valve cover. this includes the carbed ones (like my monte carlo ss did), the TBIs, TPIs, etc... i agree, the bowtie looks cool, but not worth the $40-50 extra for me [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] sounds like you got a good deal on them though.
frank - the show is at the drag strip in gainesville, you should come up, its pretty cool. i go every year. its always the weekend of october 20 (or closest weekend). it is fri,sat & sun but the car show is only sat & sun. they have a car show, racing, a pretty big swap meet area and some vendors with good deals on new stuff. i found lots of parts last year i would bought, but no $$$ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

see, I learned something new!

gotta love this message board.........free cookies for everyone!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 09:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cant help you about the compressor, but i figure ill learn in about a month when I swap an a/c unit in my '87. When I swaped in the new engine I used vortec heads and had to use the center bolt valve covers (good bye oil leaks!). The gromet for the breather was much smaller than the old type so I had to rig up something new for a breather. I took a fitting with threads on one end and a barb for a rubber hose on the other and threaded it into the gromet. Then I took fuel line and ran to a fuel filter to clean the air good. I was concerned it may be too small, but I only have 500 miles on the engine and and getting a little blow back through it so Ill pay attention when the rings seat. If you do do something like this plug up the hole on your air bos or where ever the tube is suposed to hook up.
Mike

Good Guys Wear Bow-Ties
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode