HELP!!! NO 4WD!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HELP!!! NO 4WD!!

ok, i have a 94 k1500 5.7 tbi with a 2.5 skyjacker and 33x1250 general grabber mts. my bro in law just put some 285 swamper trxus mts on his 92 3/4 ton with a 6.5L diesel and he had been wanting to hook our trucks up because he thought he could pull me. anyways yesterday i finally got tired of his mouth and we hooked em up in my driveway. we both his the gas and neither of us moved an inch, we just dug straight down about a foot. anyways the 4wd worked fine then, but after we unhooked em my 4wd was gone, i could barely get out of the holes i dug. i just put a new electric actuator in it 2 weeks ago. the light was coming on in the floorboard but no 4wd. today we unhooked the actuator and let it hang down while i engaged the 4wd, and the actuator works fine. so what do i need to look for here, i want my 4wd back and im scared this time it isnt gonna be as cheap to fix. any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 07:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HELP!!! NO 4WD!!

hmmm...thats kinda scary. first, does the front driveshaft turn when you have it in 4x4? if not, then your tcase is the problem. if it turns and like you said, your actuator works, it means something in the front end (either hubs or ring gear or cv joint). if the driveshaft turns, pull off the cv boots and have your bro watch very carefully as you drive forward in 4x4, if one of the cvs is busted you should be able to see it turning inside the diff. since the front is open, all the power would be transferred to the broken side. or another way is put the truck up on jack stands and take the front wheels off. this way, you can put it in drive and inpect the front end to see whats moving. just be careful and make sure rear wheels are a good distance from the ground!

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 12:55 AM
Mud in my Veins

Check the 4wd fuse?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2" lift, 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD stuff[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i believe if the fuse were blown, the acuator wouldnt engage

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 01:27 AM

Umm, quick question, why does my 95 2wd fullsize have a fuse in the 4wd fuse slot? It's the same rating as the fuse panel calls for for the 4wd fuse. It has a wire coming out of it going somewhere. Just wondering what this fuse does since my truck is a 2wd.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

mphz71, thanks alot, ill try all that and let ya know what happens, thanks

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 01:51 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">(Jason) Do you have an alarm or after market radio? If that's the case they probably tapped into that place in the fuse panel to power it. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Much easier than drilling through the firewall to get to the battery... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 03:49 PM

Uhh, yes I have an aftermarket stereo system, but my company installed it, well, I installed it actually. We never take power from anywhere but the battery and all grounds are ran to the frame. So, this is not whats going on. What else could it be?

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 05:49 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">That's a good point. I forgot what your profession was... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You could always unplug it and see what doesn't work... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

look at the wiring diagram in a haynes/chiltons if ya got one. mine is back home at my parents but i dont remember if it is for both 2&4wd anyway.

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode