Stick or Auto? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Stick or Auto?

Ok, I am debating again. What do you recomend for dune and mud running and some hill climbing. No real rock crawling, except to get to the mud and such. Do you recomend a stick or auto? I have a full rebuilt SM465 right now that I was going to use, prob. still am. Just wonder what your preferences are. It will be basically a daily street driver as well.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 02:23 AM
SHOTGUN

Re: Stick or Auto?

Well most people will say go to an automactic for mud and sand. But why go spend more $$ if you already have the SM465 the most reliable/bulletproof manual tranny GM ever made also with slush boxes you gotta watch the temprature, and if your gonna be do'n much mud and sand run'n you'll have to get a cooler so you don't fry the poor thing. Think I've made my vote clear. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

"The Surgeon General Never Said Anything About Smoking a Ford"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 04:47 AM
Veteran

A blown BB....hmmm.....Lenco? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Andreas

<font color=blue>Member of the secret sbc400 club</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 10:58 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I would probably say an automatic will have at least a slight advantage in the areas of mud running and sand dunes. The reason for this is it can shift a lot faster than a person can (unless said person has a Lenco (sp?) manual tranny) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] On the other hand you currently have a bullet proof manual transmission. Automatics are all (I believe) weaker than the SM465... With a manual transmission you just have to do a little experimenting at first to determine what gear you need to be in to do situations. I can take my little pickup (S size) up just about any dune I happen to point it up as long as I'm in the right gear when I hit the hill (and it's a 5 speed manual)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

If you're on the sand and have to downshift, just slow down and wait for forward momentum to stop and then back down and try it again. Even with that blown big block you're planning you would probably have trouble with lost momentum when you go to shift it down to a lower gear (if you'd even have to do that)... Of course we're going to want some videos of the beast in various off road situations... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 12:11 PM
Veteran

Jason- I would keep the Stick!!! Now I don't know much about sand driving but I do know a little about mudding and stuff like that and because of what I have learned over the last year dealing with Pulling I have to sugjest this. With the HP from that BBC you are going to need a better clutch than just a CenterForce or similar to that. I would say to go and spend the money on one of the Hays clutches that are meant for extreme feathering of the clutch. The reason I say this is because if you do mud running with it you can keep you RPM up at peak HP and at the same time watch the wheel speed and at the same time staying in one gear. I know guys that pull and have these clutches and are pushing 1200+HP thru with there 620CI BBC's and they never wear down. The one guy has been running the same clutch since 95 when he build the truck and makes 20+ pulls a year...thats over 120 pulls without burning up the clutch where you would kill even a centerforce in one pull with that amount of slipping.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Mmmmm, Lenco:

Anyway, guess I will stick with the manual. Have a link for those clutches?

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 03:10 PM

What the heck is a Lenco? Whatever it is if thats it in the picturre it sure looks cool!! Does anybody have a website link or something so I can found out a bit about these things?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]Yodas Day Off[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 03:12 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">The Lenco is used a lot in drag racing. You only use the clutch for first gear. It has a lever for each gear. You pull one then the next, etc... Way faster than shifting a vehicle using the clutch... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 05:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

why are you people selling williswanter so much bull, of course the manuals are crap, they're worthless, automatics are the thing of the future, now williswanter, you wanna sell that manual? ill do you a favor and get it off of your hads, how bout it huh? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Will work for mods

Current mods--&gt; 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2001, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an sm465/205 in my K5.
And use it in sand ,mud it works for me.
I can climb big sand bowls and not downshift.
I just use 4low and hit it an 2nd and keep my foot in it till I hit the top.
If it is a realy big climb I start to run out of steam near the top and have to saw the wheel back and forth.
But as soon as the BB goes in that won't be a problem any more.
I realy like the 465 and wouldn't have any other gearbox except for the 4500. But since the pennies that I planted aren't growing into money trees I'll just have to suffer with what I got.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode