I NEED A LITTLE HELP - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 09:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I NEED A LITTLE HELP

AGUY DOWN THE ROAD FROM ME IS SELLING A 83 3/4 TON 4X4. THE BODY IS IN DECENT SHAPE. BUT IT NEED A HEAD GASKET, (WHICH HE HAS), A FRONT DRIVE SHAFT, AND HE THINKS IT NEEDS A TORQUE CONVERTER. HE SAYS THAT HE HAS TO FLOOR IT TO GET IT TO MOVE AND THEN IT JUMPS INTO GEAR AND SLAMS HIS HEAD BACK. HE ONLY WANTS $800 BUT SAYS HE WILL SELL IT TO ME FOR $600. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK. SHOULD I JUMP ON IT OR NOT? ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE HELPFUL.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 09:29 PM

Re: I NEED A LITTLE HELP

<font face="Comic Sans MS">If it were a 1 ton, then I'd tell you to jump all over it at $600, if not just for the front Dana 60 itself, but sadly it's a 3/4 ton (and therefore has a corporate 10 bolt front) which makes the decision more complicated... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] How mechanically competent are you? Have you tackled projects like a torque converter and head gasket before? If you or your friends havent then you might want to pass on this project. Having a shop do it will make the overall project cost go up significantly... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HOW HARD IS IT TO REPLACE A TORQUE CONVERTER AND A HEAD GASKET? NEVER DONE IT BUT FEEL THAT I COULD.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 07:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The torque converter is between the engine and transmission, so you have to drop the tranny. It does not require much technical skill, but it can be a big pain none the less. The head gasket is simmilar, you dont have to have a whole lot of technical know how, but it is a pain. Which brings back to the question, how mechanically inclined are you, and how much patience do you have? A chiltens or haynes book could guide you through the steps, the only special tool you would probally need is a torque wrench. FYI- If you do start working on an old project truck, your vocabulary will deterirate. Good luck.
Mike

Good Guys Wear Bow-Ties
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 08:17 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Neither of these projects are too hard, just a pain and time consuming. These are two parts that you definitely want to take your time on and do right. You'd probably do fine if you had a shop book (to tell you what things need to be torqued down to), obviously a torque wrench and regular basic tools. One thing that might You need to take the rocker arms off and push rods out. Keep these matched up how they are in the engine. Undo the fasteners holding the exhaust manifold and then the head, and pull the head off, clean the gasket surfaces, and then put the new one in and put it all back together. Use new bolts to secure the head, or go with studs. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Put them (rockers and push rods) back exactly in the same place when you reassemble.

Make sure you seat the torque converter properly on the pump of the transmission. Rotate it and press it in until it goes in and then rotate a bit more to be sure. If you have a gap between the tranny and the engine block when you go to put it back in, do not put bolts in and try to run it tight to there. That is a sign that the torque converter isn't seated properly... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] That would mean you must pull it out and try seating it again... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 09:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not seating the convertor will bite you in the tail when you goto put the tranny back in. Doesnt sound like its the convertor though. Also the front drive shaft missing may be hiding a more serious problem with the t-case. My opinion is the price is to high but thats just me. assume you would have to replace tranny in the worst case. The engine head may have to be planed if it is warped. And you should closely inspect the fly wheel if you pull tranny. It will likely be cracked around center bolt holes. Invest in autozones HD fly wheel it is twice as thick. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode