Good Towing Rig - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good Towing Rig

Hey all,
A buddy and I are looking for a towing rig that would be capable of towing my 3/4 ton Burban and his 3/4 ton Truck on a big goose neck. Anyone have any suggestions? I would imagine a good 1 ton would handle this fine? He was thinking we should get like a Chevy C70 (small big rig). I think this might be a bit of overkill. I would like a diesel for milage purposes. I was thinking of maybe just an older 1 ton chevy might do but I would like your opinions on this. I don't want to spend more than $6000 on the truck. I also want to stay far away from the 6.2 Diesel, which for older trucks limits me to a gaser really. I don't know, I would really appreciate your help on this. I have soo many different options and I would appreciate you helping me narrow them down.

Thanks a lot everyone!!!

This mud is for you!
'88 Suburban, 350 TBI, 700R4, 3/4 ton, 9" Lift, 38" TSL's etc. etc. etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Good Towing Rig

A 3/4 ton sub weighs about 7100lbs, 3/4 ford around 6500 and a goose neck trailer to haul both would probably come in around 4-5000 lbs. That's 18600 total. I'd be looking for a super duty ford 450/550 with a diesel. I'm not a ford guy but you have to go with something like that. I don't think a chevy 1 ton could legally tow it due to the combined weight. My .02-Steve

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 11:43 PM

Umm yeah Titanic is right!! You need and want a good medium duty truck(F*ord F-4-550 Or evquivalant from a differant maker) Too tow that much weight!! Hell you might even want a bigger rtuck than that! MY dad has a International T444-E dump truck which has a 26,000 pound GVWR and the most he could/whould/can tow with it is 14,000 with the truck weighing in at 11,000 all by itself! The F-550 also only has a 26,000 pound GVWR also, So lets just say you'd need one heck of a big truck! Also making things even more interresting is that too drive a truck with more than a 26,000 pound GVWR you NEED something called a CDL (Commerical drivers linsance) So too sum it up ether you and your buddy need too come up with a lot more than $6000 and at least on of you needs a CDL or maybe if you want too trailer your trucks hire somebody too do it or both of you could get a matching set of 1 ton trucks and trailers[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].
Well so ends this novel hope it helps.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]Yodas Day Off[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 11:45 PM

you'll at least want/need a 1 ton diesel....i've seen both ford and dodge diesels tow cats or backhoes on gooseneck trailers. whatever you get, make sure you take care of the tranny.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 12:31 AM

This is dad typing, not that it matters. You will want need at least a class 6 or 7 truck. None of these class 4-5 ie f 450-550 trucks or equivelent POS. GM, Navistar, Frieghtliner, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Nissan, and others all make trucks of this size. A used model 7-10 yrs old should not be too hard to find of these brands. Older models you will be stuck with Navistar(International), F**D or GM, Maybe a Dodge or two. Titanic hit truck weights pretty good depending upon lift and meat sizes etc. Trailer weight I'm guessing to be closer to 8-10,000 lbs. Going by the fact I'm looking at purchasing a 20' flat bed trailer and I'm getting quotes of 4-6K lbs for it. You will need something approx 40' long @ 150-200 lbs a foot. Lots of truck and trailer weight to pull. DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT PULLING WITH A 1 TON. The trailer and 2 trucks will weigh more than any 1 ton on the market's gross combined weight rating. I would peg closeer to 20,000 lbs total trailer weight, plus truck at 12,000 = 32,000 lbs of rig.
GM has a 8.1 L deisel that may work. If you can find a 6-10 Liter I-6 deisel, this would be better, as it more than likely will be turbo'd. Most of the V-8 deisels like GM's 8.1 , Navistars 6.9, 7.3, 8.1 are non turbo'd. They will pull a load but verrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyy ssssssslllllllloooooowwwwwwwwwww. My N/A 7.3 Navistar goes up 6-7% grades in 3rd gear (of 7, granny, 1-6) at about 30 mph+/- pulling a 12K trailer with the truck weighing in at 11,800 lbs. Not bad for a whopping 175 hp and 336 ft lb of torque, ehh. Keep shopping for the biggest truck you can. Do not for get the CDL-A license either. Or the DOT can stop you right where you are and you will not be able to go any further with out you or someone else driving that rig of yours that has a CDL-A. The A stand for trailer endorsment over 10,000 lbs. If the truck has air brakes, do not forget the air endorsment too. We have not been the bearer of too much bad news, Have we?
298gmc's dad

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]Yodas Day Off[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 08:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ya, I should have known a 1 ton might not cut it. I know all about the CDL license, my buddy has it already and I will be taking the classes soon enough and then the behind the wheel. It's easy enough. Trucking is very much in my blood, I know all about that stuff. I won't be towing no Ford, he has a 1985 Chevy. And there is now way I will buy a Ford or especially a Dodge to pull my Chevy, it'll be a long cold day in he** before I do that. You all had some great ideas though and thank you for your responses. Maybe I'll just buy my neighbors 1997 379 Series Peterbilt... mmmmmmmmmm, 550hp. I think we'll look for a good Chevy C70 or something like that, big ole 427 in them. Terrible gas milage but like ya'll said I wouldn't want to pull those trucks with a 1 ton. I wanted to get my own truck because I can just use the gooseneck we have on the farm. I'll have to talk it over with my buddy to see what to do. But again, thank you all for your responses and I'll try to keep you posted as to what we end of getting. Have a good one all.

This mud is for you!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 09:49 AM

well, my friend tows his 1 ton k5 blazer with 44s on a 16' dual axle trailer with his 3/4 ton f*rd super duty diesel. that thing does pretty good. my dad tows our 5500 lb tractor with his 98.5 dodge 3/4 ton diesel on a the same trailer.... we used to use a 87 3/4 ton chevy with a 350 to tow it, was a little weak tho. trailer might be a little short for a burban tho....

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 10:01 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>You're not limited to just the 427 with the C70. That class of truck comes CAT powered these days [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img].</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 10:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh... I did not know that. What year did they start that? I have found a lot of C70 for under $6000 and I think that maybe this is what I'll get. I would like to know what year the CAT's were put in though. Thanks TEX.

This mud is for you!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 03:44 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>I honestly couldn't say when they started offering CAT power. Probably recent enough that you'd have a hard time finding one under $6k though. You know, what you could do is find one with a long enough bed & drive one truck up ON it & tow the other with a heafty tag-a-long. Would save some overall weight & length.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode