its been awhile.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

its been awhile....

hey folks.... its been a while since I've been on... WAY to long to read through all the old posts. I moved to northern Cali where no broadband is available, so I haven't been online for the past 2 months.

Anyway, just wanted to post some info I just got on late model transmissions. If any of you guys remember, I had a new tranny (4L60E) put in my truck when I bought it (@ 39k miles). Well, its only been 19,000 miles on the new tranny and my the clutch packs (3 and 4) in overdrive AND 3rd are already virtually non-existant. Had to drive 35 miles in 2nd (40 MPH @ 3000 RPM, painfull) Anyway, the 3rd tranny is going in my Tahoe as we speak. Those of you folks with late model half-tons should consider a tranny build-up (corvette servos, clutch packs, trans shift kit, etc...) before 50k miles (BTW: that will void any transmission related warranties).

Anyway, the info I wanted to share was for anyone considering/researching a 4L60E to 4L80E conversion - unfortunatly, its' probably an impossibility >> IF << you want a street/smog legal truck. The 4L80E not only has different connectors, requiring a different wiring harness, but the computers are also incompatible. Furthermore, the 80 is a little longer than the 60, therefor modifications to the yoke/drive shaft would be required. This was all according to a very helpfull GM Service Rep. I was speaking with today while I was in search of a long term, reliable tranny. The conversion can be done, but it probably would not be able to be smogged - especially in the more strict states.

Just thought I would share the info I found... I finally broke down and bought a modem until broadband is available so hopefully I'll be able to swing by the board a little more often than I have been.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: its been awhile....

undertow, I actually looked into this for my 98 Z-71. It will have no effect on smog because you still use a lockup converter (now a non-lockup would = problems). I priced a 4L80E with new stand alone computer and harness for $3995 plus another 500 or so to shorten driveshaft,move crossmember, and get other parts. The factory computer can be given the correct input signals from the speed sensor etc. This can be done with a harness setup or the whole computer can be reprogramed.

pretty much same stuff you covered but dont worry about being smog legal unless you try to go to a non lockup converter.

DJ(dude)

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

wow... where there is a will, theres a way! Amazing, it actually sounds pretty simple, too. I'm gonna take that to my guy and see what he says... very interesting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 08:45 PM

hey undertow....long time, no see [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

that's a bummer about your tranny. i would think the toughest thing in getting an 80E in your truck is the computer. i was thinking that you could snag the driveshaft stuff from a 2500 truck, but they'd need to get chopped anyway....yours is a 2dr 2wd tahoe, right? well, i'm just thinkin' outloud now...kinda babbling too [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ...i'm going to eat supper. i hope your truck gets up and running soon! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 08:53 PM

Wecome back![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Now don't leave again or I will have too put a curse on you a REALLY bad curse!!! What will I curse you with? Hmmmmmmm Let me think........... Ok instead of having a 56k modem instead of your broadband I'll make you use my old 486 with it's 9K modem!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]Yodas Day Off[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yup, 2dr 2wd... but she's one hell-a-fast truck!

yeah that conversion would be very involved, thats for sure. On top of the fact that I'd like to see if its possble to do a 4x4 solid axle conversion too. But all this stuff is way outta my league, and fairly expensive too.

I'm seriously considering selling her and finding another late model 2DR Tahoe, but a 4x4 this time. I wonder if they made 3/4 ton 2dr Tahoes... gotta look that up, but I don't think so. Maybe I'll buy a 3/4 ton pickup and put an older K5 body on it or something... I'm just dreaming... it sucks when your truck ain't in your own gararge, thats for sure!

hey 298gmc, I feel your pain bro! Unfortunatl;y I have been spoiled by the fruits of technology. Job hazard, I guess.

-u

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:51 PM
whitetail204

Hey , how's it hangin? I was just curious were UNDERTOW came from. One of my favorite bands has an album with that title> Just curious if there was a connection.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tool has been one of my favorites for years too... I openly admit to jacking their album name!!

What can I say, its' a niffty alias.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 10:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nivster Was wonderin' what happened to you. 56k happened to you... ick!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 10:18 PM
whitetail204

Nothing wrong with that, believe it or not Im not actually a deer. Have you heard the new CD? It kicks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode