AJM, you wont believe this - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

AJM, you wont believe this

AJM,
I just ran a cross one hell of a deal on a set of One ton axles, the rears the 14bolt full floater with 373s at least thats what the guy said, and he also has the front axle, these are both off an 82 one ton, he told me he would let them both go for 400, that includes the brakes and everything,

at first I was thinkn I would just get the rear 14bolt but then he said he also had the front, so I think Ill grab them both and Ive I dont end up converting the front of my truck over to that axle then It should still be pretty easy top get rid of, maybe I could get 400 for just the front axle.

Im siked about this find, just thought Id let ya know

Evan

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 06:15 PM

Re: AJM, you wont believe this

Major score there Evan!! Now we both know those axles are not worth a red cent!!! So why don't you send them too me and I'll send you 5 bucks for them[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. Thats a fair price right?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]Yodas Day Off[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

ya I cant hardly belive it, Ive priced a few 14bolt full floaters and there running anywhere from 800-1000. I think this guy is hard up for some cash

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

this questions for everyone.
I want to do the solid axle swapp, but I dont want to run leaf springs, because I still want a decent ride out of the truck. what Im thinking is going to coils like dodges setup on there solid axle, that would give me a smooth ride a still be realy flexy.

but Im not sure how to go about doing it, whether to build custom brackets for the coil a nd shocks or swipping some off a wrecked dodge, which I proably wont be able to do.

let me know what you think, if its fesable or should I just go with leafs.

thankx
Evan All this is a if I do it kinda thing

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 04:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1/4 elliptic! Its the way to go! Man, nobody likes the idea. Someone has to try it in case it doesn't work. You should be the guinea pig! Can alway do four link with coil springs but you will need limiting straps. See my four link ford pics somewhere here to see ifs-solid swap 4 link.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

So your saying I should try it just in case it doesnt work?

Im likeing the idea of coils alot. but who knows waht will happen if I actualy end up hacking on my front end.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 10:20 AM
Veteran

There is a pretty easy way to do what you want to do KID. First off- do you want to lift the truck? I am thinking you probably do!!! There is a total bolt on procedure but I'm not sure what you will think of that so I will talk about the Dodge way first. What you have to do is go and get some upper coil pockets from the wreckers off a 2wd or 4wd Dodge or Ford. Then what you need get or make is the lower pocket and mounts for the D60. If I were you I would make the rest....it isn't as hard as it seems!!! make the lower mount for the coils and on the same mount make the brakets for the radius arms. Then make brakets that atatch to the frame for your radius arms. Then go a head and make then out of DOM tubing and Hemi-joints. or at least 1 hemi-joint so you can make adjustments. Once you have the links in place you can go and put the coil springs in and put the weight of the truck on the axle. Then you have to make up a panhard bar to go from the axle up to the frame.

If you want a bunch of pics of this whole set-up I can email you them or I can just post them on here for all to see. I got the pic's from the one and only SHORTS[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] She was nice enough to go out and snap a ton of pics because I am doing a swap like this on my Puller.

Ok, now the total bolt on way!!! It involves a Ford though so I am not sure if you would want to do it. Go to the wreckers and get the upper spring pockets from a Ford 2wd truck or a pre 79 4x4. Then find a pre 79 Ford 4x4 or Bronco with a D44 or D60 and take the brakets that bolt the coil mount/radius arms to the axle, you should also take the panhard bar. Then what you need to do is go and buy a lift kit for a pre 79 Ford that comes with Coil Springs and new Radius arms. Then mount the braket to the front axle and bolt the upper spring pockets to the frame. Then drill and mount the radius arms to the frame. You can then do custom Cross-over steering if you want. I know I didn't go into detial here but I can if you want. I also have some pics from a 91 Chevy that I saw in town a few months ago and the guy did this exact same thing and it turned out really good for him.

Personally, I would rather go with the dodge set-up or better yet do a custom 4-link with Coil-overs. I just got a price on some Bilstien 6100 coil over shocks and they are $131 a piece and give you 10" of travel and then you need the coil springs that will set you back about $50 a piece. These coil overs would be great for a truck with 35's and if you do the match the cost is about the same as buying springs for a dodge with 6" of lift. The Dodge springs are around $400-500 and then you still need shocks where with these coil over springs you are in the $400-500 range and thats it.

Feel free to ask any more questions,

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

RyanB,
Thanks for all the info, I think after what youve said Ill ditch the idea of ever putting leafs on the front of my truck.
I really like the idea of running coil overs with the 4 link setup, but the ford and dodge way isnt far behind.

The total bolt on way using ford parts doesnt sound to bad, and using a ford lift kit with the new radias arms would make things alittle easier.

I think right now ill go to town and look at some dodge and ford setups just to see how it all looks and see if it looks like something id be able to do by myself with the help from you and the rest on this BBS.

THANKX
Evan

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 06:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey ryan - can you email me the stuff you got?? ive been planning on just using leafs on my swap but this sounds interesting. not to mention it would be even more different than just a solid swap newer chevy. coming into town tonight (where im from, not jax where i go to school) i saw a 90 chevy like mine but work truck front end with a solid swap and 38s at the gas station. he musta just been passing through though cause ive never seen it before. i definitely like the picture of my truck on big tires [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

be surfn ht ewb all nigh and found this pic, and also some info, I sent off a ton of emails hopefully Ill get more info tomorrow or the next day when they reply.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-469056-solidaxle.jpg (29.2 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode