KC lights? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 10:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

KC lights?

I was wonding if anyone has those 385,000 candle power kc lights. How bright are they? Currently I have some $17 walmart wannabees. They are 100wt and I can see roughly a mile and a half mile really clear. I also have them mounted on my roll bar so I don't get the best on road lighting since it hits the top of hte cap. Anyways, thought I'd ask if anyone knows

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS
http://mnorby.virtualave.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 11:18 AM

Re: KC lights?

Pro comps are just as good as KCs but less expensive [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
If your current ones are giving you 1.5 miles of clear veiwing I cant imagine you need more than that???[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

The best setup I have found is to run fog type lights down low like bumper/pushbar and a set of driving lights up high like rollbar/roof.
(it is just overkill to run more than that, unless you race the baja)

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

opps, sorry, bad grammar. I can see a 1/2 mile clearly and around a mile I can kinda make out trees and stuff but they are kinda sketchy

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 05:12 PM

If you do run some good ones on your roll bar, definetly buy some heat sheilds to go under them, they will cut down the glare, and save the paint on your roof.
I learned about the paint thing the hard way [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Famous last words "Boy you sure can smell the heat those things put off" followed by "Oh $hit"

(alot of my adventures end with "Oh $hit" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 06:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

on my lights on the roll bar I shimmed them up about inch above the mounting brakets so they are about 3 inches from the roof. I've never seen any heat shield on them. Can you buy them or just have to make them? What do they look like?

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 06:35 PM

You used to be able to buy them but they would be easy enough to make. They are just a peice of sheet metal about 4 inchs wide and about 8 inchs long with a slight curve in them (store bought ones are usually chrome)
They attach under the light and extend under and infront of the light deflecting the heat and light up away from the roof.(does that make any sense???[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img])

The lights that burnt the paint off the roof of my 78 chevy were "Aeres"(sp?) 150 watt "Flame Throwers" and they lived up to their name [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] they were killer lights though (I don't know if they are still made, this was back in 1981)

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 06:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just got 2 of those 150 watters (385,000 candlepower). They are very nice, I've got two of em on a pre runner style bar. Let me tell you, no need for the old handheld deer spotting light! (when spotting deer that is) These babies are sweet! I couldnt see a need for more of them, except for the fact of just havin them and lookin' good!

-Tom

Black Z-71
`94 GMC
If you got it, a truck brought it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

Post deleted by Shootist

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:30 PM

I dont really like lights on the roof or roll bar because when your out wheeling the tend to get hit buy tree branchs. Then when you need them the are pointing at the moon or to the side and even some times even behind you. And thats not good.

If it aint broke, keep fixing it till it is.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got 4 of the stainless steel housed KC 385,000 CP lights. I had them wired in sets of two. Granted, two are plenty of light, but 4 is (plenty X 2)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. I really like the lights and hope to soon have them on my full size truck. They do require a lot of electricity though. When you flip the switch on all four it is almost like driving in the daytime. I would like to have 2 forward and 2 to the rear on seperate switches. The two to the rear you dont need all the time but when backing up they would come in handy. Just my $0.02 worth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode