Dana 60 or 14(FF) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dana 60 or 14(FF)

I am looking to swap out my rear axle out of an 86 Blazer. I have located 2 14(FF) rears and about 6 Dana 60's. The one I was looking to get was one of the Dana 60's it has 4.56 gears. Which axle is better? Does anybody know about the install? The tires I run are 35's so I think the 4.56 gears would work well. I am not sure what the 14's have for gears. Thanks for the help!!!!!

Just trying to get along
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 08:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dana 60 or 14(FF)

The Dana 60 sports a 9&3/4" ring gear. It is a very strong axle and would hold up to 35"s and then some just fine. The 14bolt FF which sports the 10&1/2" ring gear is yet even stronger. There's no telling what gear ratio exists in the 14bolt axles you located. If they're stock they probably have 4.10s. If you want the 4.46s then don't let the question of strength stop you from getting the Dana60. Can't help you on the install as I've never swapped axles[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]... Yet![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]. If the 60 is off a Chevy it may bolt up as easily as a 14 bolt. Guys like Shawn and FrankP should be able to tell you all the gory details. Come to think of it, there's an articale about it right here: http://coloradok5.com/axleswap.shtml

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 09:11 PM
Can't Get Enough

The 14B is better compared to the Dana 70 for acual strenth. The D60 is a pretty strong axle and can take some abuse. It also has less of the pumkin hanging down low increasing ground clearance.

88 crewcab w/38's. For sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought about a Dana 70 from a van because it is wider than truck axle. It would give you more stability. My therapist told me it is to early to discuss the install. Many post and articles here though.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

He has a Dana 70, Dana 60, and 14B(FF). I guess the question is which one would you guys choose. The cost is the same for all. The Dana 70 is out of a dulie. Which is a better match for my 86 Blazer. But like I said the Dana 60 allready has 4.56 gears. If you weigh in the cost of changing gears to 4.56 in the 14B, or are 4.10, 4.11 gears good enough for 35's. Thanks for the input. I just want to make this a onetime buy.

Just trying to get along
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 12:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get the 60 then, I dont think its that big of a difference. 4.56's seem a little low (high) for 35's but if you have over drive it will be ok. May be issues with the dualie using a single wheel I'm not sure. I got into the re-gearing trap and just bought a matched used set from boyce. I dont like the 14ff because it seems like 4.88 is the highest I can go with it.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 08:21 AM

my friend runs 4.10s in his blazer with 35" m/ts. the truck drives well. it has a tired 350 in it, but it still has some good power. now if he only knew how to drive it.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] go to one of those web pages with the rpm calculators, like http://www.randysringandpinion.com.

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 08:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Personally I would go with the 14 in your case. That is what I have under my Suburban with 35" tires and 4:10 gears right now and that seems to be the perfect gear ratio for those tires and axle. It's a very easy swap, the only thing I came across was that my axle is older than the Burban and so the parking break was hooked up different on those but that is not an issue for me. I would stick with 4:10 gears with 35's though no lower, maybe 4:56's would be alright but I like the 4:10's. Stick with what works. Good luck.

This mud is for you!
'88 Suburban, 350 TBI, 700R4, 3/4 ton, 9" Lift, 38" TSL's etc. etc. etc.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 11:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, first, FrankP, The lowest gears you can go with a 14bolt is 5.13.

Now, what years did the Dana 60's come out of??
I'm 99% sure you will have to move the perches and shock mounts to bolt that D60 rear axle in. B/c most if not all GM rear D60s are found in the 72' and earlier 1ton or 3/4 ton P/Us.
Second, the 14bolts (if out of a 3/4 ton) will either ahve 3.73 or 4.10 if stock, but will bolt right in. The 14bolt is by far stronger and even better than the Dana 70 rear in my opinion. The only thing the 70 rear has over the 14bolt is the 35splined shafts VS the 14bolts 30spline shaft. No biggie though, they're both 1.5" shafts. 14bolt has a bigger R & P though and other stuff too. Oh, but, also, make sure you have the 35spline shaft version D70, b/c not all came with that. Some had like, I forget, but I think it was 19 or 17 spline shafts. Anyhow, no worries with the 14bolt, they all had 30spline 1.5" shafts. Too much confusion with the D70 rear.

Ok, some 14bolts do come with 4.56 gears stock though. But they're usually found in some 1 ton versions (and all 1.25 ton CUCVs) version 14bolts. With the CUCV version 14bolt you'll get the detroit in the rear stock. BUT, with the 1 ton version 14bolt (and CUCV's for that matter, which is exactly the same as 1ton version, but has 4.56 and detroit), you will have to move the spring perches and shock mounts to make it work in your truck. Hope I didn't confuse anyone.
Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 04:16 PM
Veteran

My 14-bolt in my 1 1/4Ton Ex-millitary didn't come with a Detraoit:-( but it did come with the 4:56 gears. One other reason not mentioned yet for a little pro for the 14bolt is that lockers are cheaper. A detroit for the 14bolt is over $200 less than the D60.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode