Tahoe Suggestions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 01:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tahoe Suggestions

I just bought a used pewter 1999 2dr, 4WD Tahoe. It has nerf bars and custom rims. I believe it has the same shocks as the Z71 Package. It also has a towing package. I wanted some advice on adding some stuff. I go to Colorado about 2 or 3 times a year and do a considerable amount of off-roading in the mountains. I want to add some stuff to it to improve performance, etc. Advice on exhaust, air filters, tires, lift kits (small lift), brush guards, etc. would be appreciated. I want to keep the cost down if possible. Also, if I did one thing to improve horsepower and still keep a warranty, what should I do? Any info would be great. Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 01:53 PM
Veteran

Re: Tahoe Suggestions

I would say that best thing to do first would be to add a set of new tires. I have a 93 Yukon 2-door and I just put on a set of 285/75R16 BFG MT's and talk about a difference in the look of the truck. It looks alot more agresive now and it is also a little taller. The best 2 street style mud tires out are the BGF MT's or the Cooper SST's or what every they are called. Personally, I love the BFG's. There is something about the tread patern on those Coopers that I just don't like....not sure what it is.

Exaust wise...You have 2 CAT's on your truck going into one muffler...Keep it that way!!! go out and buy a good muffler such as Flowmaster or any other of your choice with a double in/single 3" out. Then just exit the pipe in your stock location and you can even use you tail pipe you have seening it a mandrel bent Semi-Stainless. I say Semi-stainless because its made out of some recycled steel so its not as true as the real stuff. I actually just took the muffler off my Yukon and replaced it with a 3" pipe...not sure if you want to do that but it sounds alot better than my friends trucks with Flowmasters and some other HighPreformance mufflers because it doesn't amplify the tone its just the truck Chevy 350 sound[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Air filter wise...nothing beats the K&N and you can't beat the price for a 1 million mile warantee. As for a lift kit...don't go over 3" on it. 3" kits are pretty cheap and eazy to install and do the job great. Personally, I like SkyJacker but there are others that are the same too...or close to it.

Hope that helps a little....Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 02:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 12:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just recently posted on another message some things about my Tahoe, but here it is again. I have a 98 Tahoe 4dr, 4WD, and I run a Flowmaster exhaust (dual inlet, single out), K&N Generation II air filter system, and a Jacobs Electronics Kit. I also have BFG 265/75R/16 A/T tires. I am happy with the current setup. When I have enough $$$ I'll probably put in a Rough Country or Skyjacker 2-3" lift.

Hope that helps some.

Bulldog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode