What color should I paint my Trany and T-case? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

What color should I paint my Trany and T-case?

Just curious what color you guys think I should paint them? The reason I am asking is because the frame and axles on the puller are going to be painted Gloss Black and Im not sure if thats the best color to go with or not. The reason I am going with everything Gloss and stuff is because I am probably going to be having a tilt body on it so I want the chassis to look good!!! The SFI aproved LakeWood belhousing that I am getting is red so I don't want to paint it red. I sort of thinking a metat grey look or a hammered grey and that way I will be able to spot oil leaks is there is ever one.

What do you guys think? The trany/T-case is going out for sand blasting this week so I have to make up my mind pretty soon.

Thanks...Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:31 PM

Re: What color should I paint my Trany and T-case?

Paint them with "Clear" lacquer!!!
That way they will be invisible [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:44 PM
72dreamer

i like yellow. you could see leaks real good on yellow. i painted the tranny on my monster truck bright green and it looks cool. but i like yellow.

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I vote "Battleship Gray". I painted by 454 chevy orange and did the sm465 and np205 in the gray and they look sweet. The battleship color is a nice medium gray tone that is very easy to spot leaks or cracks.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the fast reply's. I think I might go with Hammered Medium Grey. It looks really nice and has the hammered affect to it so it should look pretty cool. All the links suspension and other things on the truck I am painting a real vibrant deep blue which will go good with the gloss black frame and Oxy Black paint on the body.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 01:57 PM
u2slow

Here's my takes on several colors I've used...

Yellow: looks poor REALLY fast. Any little bit or dirt or grime is immediately noticeable.

Blue: Too much when you got to town with it. Overpowers the senses.

Orange: As bad as yellow and blue combined.

Cast Iron: Kind of a cool look, but looks "fake" when used extensively.

Black: looks good, but you can't see squat.

Machinery Grey/Ford Grey: I like it. Good visibility for leaks, and easy on the eyes. Some grime and dirt won't destroy looks. Another color I like is the tan color used on Cummins engines.

"Hammerites": same look in all colors, but works best on things you are trying to make look "old". A buddy painted his frame with it, but he used blue. Turned out nice, but Blue truck, blue frame - too much blue. I would avoid paiting drivetrain with it.

'91 V3500 Crewcab, bobbed, SM465/NP205, D60/14FF, 4.10, 12k Warn, dual batts, 2" body, Blazer fuel tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode