Save the Silverado from a hideous fate - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 10:32 AM
TEX

Save the Silverado from a hideous fate

<font color=purple>Okay folks, it's time for action. I just got done writing a seething letter to GM. Rumor has it that the Silverado is slated to receive the Avalanche styling treatment by 2003. I told them that body cladding is OUT. I told them they should have learned their lesson from the sales flop they have in the Aztek & the negative reaction they're already getting to the Avalanche styling. I told them that the Avalanche doesn't look "brawny", but instead looks like some loser with a no-limit credit card & a J C Whitney catalog outfitted it with all the cheap, plastic bolt-ons he could find. And I told them that anyone pushing that styling toward the Silverado or the S-10's replacement should be fired immediately before Ford regains the market share GM has just taken from them. And you should all do the same.

go to:http://www.chevrolet.com & click on the "Contact Us" button pick the "product suggestion" category. And then let them have it.

Thanks,</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:06 PM

Re: Save the Silverado from a hideous fate

Just did my part.......

90K5

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:34 PM

ugh. an extra large Aztek/Avalanche [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
everything I NEVER wanted. But at least it will be expensive!
nice way to give the market to phord / dogde

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 12:50 PM
72dreamer

this is just gonna make it even harder for me to buy a good looking '72 truck cuz people will resort/revert/return to buying '72s instead.
i think the '73 and up models are the best models to buy! everyone should buy one and get rid of those nasty, ugly, old '72 and under trucks.

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

Post deleted by Shootist

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 02:26 PM
72dreamer

sorry shootist, didn't mean to offend. i still think everyone should get rid of their '67-'72 trucks as soon as possible. even if you have to give it away.
shootist, i found a pic that'll show your avalanche has potential. now although the pic is small as is the avalanche (it's an rc model), it does show what a lifted avalanche might look like. the rc avalanche looks pretty sweet so you can kinda imagine what a lift and phat mud tires would look like on a real one. errrrrrr.....minus the big elephant/rhino catcher.

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-466429-AVA.jpg (9.2 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:31 PM

The Avalanche is like anything else, once it is out for awhile and there is aftermarket stuff avalable for it (lift kits, pushbars, etc...)
I am sure they will turn out to be COOL [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:45 PM

I think Avalanches don't look THAT bad, I'm not too thrilled with all the plastic stuff on it, But all in all I think it looks pretty good.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]Yodas Day Off[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 05:27 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Shootist, I had a feeling someone would take this the wrong way & you are the first.

Let me say this. I like the Avalanche. I like it enough to buy it. But, I can't get past the looks. I will be buying a GMC pickup instead.

The J C Whitney part refers to the totally NON-integrated look of the body cladding. It appears to be an afterthought, much like the bolt-on stuff you get out of catalogs - J C Whitney being one.

The Loser reference is for the guy who has no creative ideas, so he just cuts loose with a catalog & buys EVERYTHING he can possibly bolt on to his truck; whether it serves any purpose or has any asthetic value is of no concern to him. Come on, we've ALL seen trucks like that.

As for being a loser by default for managing your money, HUH? The no-limit credit card referred to the way some guys rack up bills at the catalogs with no apparent reservations. But, I myself hold a platinum card in my wallet with zero balance at the end of each month.

As for the Avalanche looking better in person, I agree. But, I still have issues with all that plastic. And again, I think the problem here is that instead of just giving it a DIFFERENT body than the Silverado, they started with the basic Silverado look & then altered it with add-ons.

And yes, the dealers are selling them just fine. The cool features have won a lot of people over. Hell, they even sell some of the Azteks thanks to the cool features it has. But, that doesn't mean that I will change my mind one bit when I say someone totally screwed up when they designed the exterior of the Avalanche.

As for the F-body, that's a whole 'nuther game. Letter writing won't save that car; SALES will. But, the Silverado is the single largest profit builder for GM. It's not going anywhere. The hope is simply that letters & e-mails might convince them not to screw up the good thing they have going. Besides, so far it's just a RUMOR that they actually will give the Silverado the Avalanche styling treatment.

And you have to admit you see my point. After all, you're someone who likes the Avalanche enough that you've actually purchased one - and even you have a hard time getting used to the looks. Imagine how the rest of us feel about those looks invading space now occupied by a GREAT-looking truck [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 05:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

shootist - i agree with you when you say that not everyone will like it and im glad you realized that instead of getting offended or pissed when someone doesnt like your truck. but i think the point TEX is trying to make (or even if not, the point I AM trying to make) is that they need to keep the silverado different. yes, the avalanche may appeal to a certain portion of the market and it may be a great seller, but they can keep the regular silverado the same to appeal to that other portion of the market. if they change ALL chevy trucks to look like the avalanche just because SOME people like it, they will lose a HUGE portion of their customers to other manufacturers. i am a die hard GM man, but if they changed all their trucks to look like the avalanche, i would not buy one. i would either buy an older one (most likely since i dont like rounded trucks - the f150s or even newer chevies - i think 88-99s were the best) or even consider an f250 or a dodge. the fact is that with todays market, CEOs have the "all or nothing" mindset and personally i think it is tremendously hurting the quality of our automobiles. its the same thing with the way they eliminated all the fullsize, rear wheel drive v8 cars. now what were once cool cars like the impala and monte carlo are now v6, front wheel drive grocery getters. and i for one will not buy one. but just because EVERYONE doesnt think like i do, they alienate the consumers who do think like me??? that is extremely poor managing and decision making... ok, now that yall are sick of hearing me, im done with my rant, i just hope to shed some light on this subject - we need to have variety, its as simple as that...

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode