MSD Ignition coil? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

MSD Ignition coil?

It's time for new plugs and wires. The wires are the orginals and after 7 years and 120k they should go. The plugs are Bosch platinum and they seemed to wear well, but even they are over 50K.

Anyway, I was thinking about putting on the MSD ignition coil (just the coil, not the iginition box) and possibly widening the plug gap. I know this topic was on here a few weeks ago and that's what got me motivated for this.

What I want to know is if anyone knows the part number?
Is the Blaster GM coil PN 8226 ($38.95 at Summit) the one I want for my 94 350 TBI?

Thanks,
Jack

1994 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT. Trailmaster 4" lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 01:49 AM
BigBlueZ71

Re: MSD Ignition coil?

Weird, I just bought new plugs/wires/rotor/cap today RIGHT after I got the truck back. they haven't been replaced since the truck hit 30,000 miles and it as of now has a little over 130,000.....i think its time to replace them!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Right on Blue !!!!!!!!
Every 100,000 miles whether it needs it or not.

Actually, I thought this would be a good weekend to tackle it. I have to work, but I can work from home on the weekend. I figure since I'm gonna miss all the festivities, I can squeeze in a couple hours on the truck while nobody's looking. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 10:47 AM

yes.......<font color=red>PN 8226</font color=red> is the part number you need for your truck [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

definitely change out the wires and plugs...don't forget the cap and rotor. that way your whole system is flowin' well.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 05:56 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Don't open the gap up too far. The module doesn't like the added load on it. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Plus it'll cause the spark energy to drop off as you open them too much. I'd save up the $150 and get the MSD 6a box or a bit more to get the totally waterproof one... Worth it, and they'll let you open the gap much more... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I was thinking about .050 gap. Nothing too radical. Does that sound reasonable?

I figured since I was gonna be replacing wires, plugs, cap and rotor, I would go ahead and put the coil on. It's less than $40.

Thanks for the reccomendation on the MSD 6a. I was looking at some in the Summit catalog, but couldn't really decide what I should use, or if it was worthwhile at all for a stock motor. The only underhood mod so far is a K&N.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 12:21 AM

i'm running .050 on mine, and its working great. I'm running an accel cap/rotor, MSD SC wires and NGK plugs, stock coil

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Shorts,

I have the same plans. I ordered the MSD coil and wires from Summit today. I was having a little harder time figuring out which cap and rotor to get.

How about the plugs? Do you have a part number for me?
I don't have any idea what reach or anything else I could chose from on Summit.

I was just gonna go to a local parts store and have them give me the right (platinum) plugs.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 03:08 AM
Mud in my Veins

Just a thought, but the MSD boxes don't respond well to Platinum, Titanium, multispark, multipronged, etc spark plugs. They are designed to use regular copper tipped spark plugs. That is what they work the best with. I discussed this with a guy at the local auto parts store who discovered this with his 32 Ford and also a MSD tech. So if you are planning on running these when you put that MSD Offroad ignition box in, might just want to save yourself a few bucks and get some good, regular ol' Autolite plugs.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That's what I am running.

I have the coil, the MSD 8.5mm wires, and my Autolite plugs at .050. Runs like a top.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2" lift, 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD stuff[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

SWEET. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks AJM,

The only reason I really like the platinum plugs is that they last a long time, but maybe I'll just keep a few bucks in my pocket and use plain ol' copper plugs. Better yet I'll take a good look at the platinums that are in there now and just regap those if they look OK. Should be good for a while since it's not really my daily driver anymore.

O/T I added a little Honda Civic to the stable just to get me back and forth to work. It makes driving the truck even more fun on weekends.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode