Recommendations For A Wire Welder - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 12:02 AM
Resurrection_Joe

Recommendations For A Wire Welder

My Uncle Joe wants to buy a wire welder (mig). I just wanted to see what you guys recommend. Not too expensive, but able to weld really well. Thanks. Sory for being a stranger.

Enter Ground Zero - http://rj.coloradok5.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 12:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Recommendations For A Wire Welder

Millermatic 130 XP its millers lower end welder but does pretty much anything that I would ever need to do or you, it can weld 3/16 in one pass. its 115 volt 20 amp. and weighs 69lbs. its also got a overload protection, Its also abe to run aluminum wire (way dif than reg wire).

that infos right out of there catalog.

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 12:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[image]http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/53-448081-Sig.jpg">
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-464960-WELDER.jpg (55.4 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 06:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Buy a name brand. Miller, Lincoln, Hobart. I personally have a Lincoln 125. It is about the same as the one The Kid mentioned above. You can do most anything you need to do with it. It just takes longer with a small welder. If I am not mistaken I gave in the neighborhood of $800 for mine. It was a kit. Welder, gas bottle, hood, wire, etc. They had the Miller at the same price but I liked the features on the Lincoln at the time a little better.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 07:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

At work it seems like we have more trouble with the Lincolns than the Millers. I would probably stick with the Miller.

- Rick -
98' GMC X-Cab Z-71 w/ 2" Body Lift, 33 x 12.50 BFG MT's on 15 x 8 Eagle 054 Gambler Rims, Custom exhaust & stereo.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 07:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Miller, make sure to get the gas too!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 12:15 PM

The only problem with the 115 AC / 20Amp units is that you need a 20 Amp circuit in your house to run the box. The 15 Amp won't cut it.

My recommendation is to get one of the 240 volt units as they can easily be adapted to plug into the dryer outlet in your house. For example, Lincoln's SP-175 Plus, SP-170T or Miller's Challenger 172 would work well in your situation.

--Drew
83 S10 4x2
I AM <font color=red>CA</font color=red><font color=white>NADI</font color=white><font color=red>AN</font color=red>!
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 10:42 PM
Zooman

I guess it also depends on how much money he wants to spend.
I have one of those small Lincolns. I can't acutally remember what it is called but it does the job and cost me about $500 canadian.

Zooman

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]<font color=blue>78 Chevy 3/4 in the rough</font color=blue>

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would say to go with a Lincoln sp-125, it is probably more than enough juice for anything you might want to weld provided that you don't want to weld anything over 1/4" plate with less than about 2-3 passes. But if you were going to go thicker than that it would probably be better to go with a stick welder anyway. I have an sp-125 that I use for everthing under 1/4" and a stick welder for the heavy stuff. As far as Lincoln vs Miller it is really a personnal preference issue that really has no basis, it's not like comparing F----s to Chevies or anything like that.LOL!!! I have used both quite a bit and they both feel and weld the same to me. Just my $.02. Good luck.
Metalhead

JEEP it's what's for dinner!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 08:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ya the stick welder would be good for doing heavy stuff, but why not just step to a little bit bigger wire welder and save your self the hassel of chipping of the slack everytime you run a bead,

on the other hand Id say if your not a very experinced welder, it would be easier to learn on a stick welder.
but the wire not much if any harder than the stick, just dif
I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it.

I had miller send me a catolog with all there welders specs, and they aslo sent me a welders buying guide to kinda me what kind of welder I might want. I think the other welder manufactures will also send you any info on welders if you get a hold of them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode