Mud Bog - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mud Bog

Hey all,
Tis been a while since I posted (work is keeping me a little too busy). I just entered the Blue Earth County Fair Mud Bog here in southern Minnesota. I've never actually been in a mud bog event, I just do my muddin by the swamps and stuff. Anyone got any driving tips or quick upgrades or tweaks I can do to get the Burban ready for this? I will recieve my 38.5" TSL's this week along with my TBI spacer, Hypertech performance chip and tranny cooler. I was just looking for a reason to post and say hi to ya'll. I tell you what though, I sure am pumped for this mud bog. That is going to be soooooooo sweat. I have to run in the Unlimited Open class. Anything but NOS and Superchargers goes here, I have a feeling I may not look so hot next to those buggies. I really need those lockers right about now. Oh well, it will still be fun. I'm thinking just 4LO in drive and just give her the barries? Well you all have a good one now and I would greatly appreciate any tips you could give me.

Thanks!

This mud is for you!
'88 Suburban, 3/4 ton, 9" Lift, 35" MudTerrains(Too Small)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 04:51 PM
Veteran

Re: Mud Bog

I take it you have an Auto trany and probably the NP208. I know alot of guys yup here that run in mud bogs just run in drive with the T-case in High. As long as you can keep the wheels turning you will get way more wheel speed which is what you need to clean the tires and also to keep you moving forward. You just have to make sure you punch it good off the line so you can keep that wheel speed up once you hit the thick stuff.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 04:52 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">If you start to lose momentum, saw the wheel back and forth. 4 Low should be fine, but I prefer to shift it manually (go from 1 to 2 to D, etc...) I like to rev it a bit more. Just keep your foot on it and you should do pretty well... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] If you get a chance, try it in high and low ranges to see where you get the best performance, and stick with that range... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I'm sure TEX, our expert will cover and/or correct what I may have missed... </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I run out in the swamps and woods here I usually go in 4Lo and she's got some good shnort that way and then when I can't rock it out or I have to go in reverse I go to 4Hi. 4Hi seems to work better in reverse and 4Lo works better going forward. I don't get up too much speed in the swamp and woods because of all the big dips and falled trees. The weekest point on my truck is the tranny, I am actually kind of hoping I break it so I can get the TH350 built and put in. I figure if it starts to shift between drive and second I will just shove it down into second. I kind of like the idea of shifting thru the gears manually but I havn't done this much. Maybe I should go back to the woods when I get the new tires and upgrades on and just see what works. I just don't want to break it before I get it there. The ole credit card is once again at it's limit. I really need to quit spending money. Thanks for the advise, I think I will go and try all of them in the woods once.

This mud is for you!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 06:40 PM
RolngThun

Run in the ruts, stay in the ruts. 4 low for sure with out any doubt. Just watch the trucks before you, if they look like they bog down more then just fly through it I would put the shifter in manual second. Shifting in the bog with a stock shifter bites. Finding N is one thing but finding R really sucks.
Play with holding the brakes and see how high you can get up on the converter without the truck moving, you may find this will give you a stronger holeshot.
Think water proofing, seal up gaps into the engine compartment with inner tube or some other type of material.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 09:52 PM

well, when my friend runs the bogs here in michigan, he just puts his truck in 4lo & 1 on his auto tranny. he runs 44 boggers, but has 4.10 gears.... he did pretty good like that when the engine ran good...

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 10:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just from my observations. The guys running auto trannies and low range don't seem to get enough wheel speed or momentiom at the begining of the pit. By the time the tranny shifts to second they are getting into deeper mud, and even though they start to get some wheel speed, they never did have any momentiom, so they get bogged down early. I run a light weight CJ5 with a built 401. I launch in 3rd gear low range, and turn the engine well over 6000 RPM without problems. I havn't tried it yet, but I believe this engine will pull 4th gear without very much trouble, but I would destroy my stock clutch. Wheel speed is your friend, and the earlier you can get them spinning good, the farther you will go. IMHO, you will get more wheel speed with an automatic in 1st gear highrange then you will running in lowrange, and waiting for the tranny to shift.

Ray

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 08:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow, I think I am really gonna have to get my but out into the swamp and try all of these out. Everybody has some real good ideas, now I just need to see what one will work the best for me and the Burb. I'll be sure to keep you posted on what worked and how the bog went. It's not until Aug. 4th so I have a while to practice. Thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate this.

This mud is for you!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 09:15 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Take it from another regular competitor (like RolngThun), high range will get you NOWHERE. A stock engine is good for at MOST 30 MPH of wheelspeed, maybe less with heavy tires like 38.5's. 1st gear high range will net you twice that speed at max RPM unless you're geared WAY low (like 4.88 or below). And what that means is that you'll never get any kind of holeshot. My tow vehicle is probably much like your racer in terms of power & gearing. TBI 350/TH700/NP241. 2nd gear low side works GREAT, but my tires are only 32" tall. At most, you'll get to 2nd low. You might not make it out of 1st. You'll have absolutely no need for Drive unless the track is 200' long & 6" deep.

For reference, I just sanctioned a race last Saturday with 142 competition machines on hand. And trust me when I say that NONE of the top 10 machines in ANY of the street classes were running high range - that goes for both my "Pit" and my "Fast Track" classes.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 10:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

So hold the brakes and give'er the gas like I'm going to do a brake stand and then let my foot of the brake and stomp on the gas for a good hole shot? I like that idea as long as my tranny will hold up to that. RolngThun - you said to cover all openings into the engine compartments right? Should I cover the bottom front below the fan and radiator or should I leave this hold open? I have lots of tubing I can use at my parents farm so I should be able to do that.

Thanks for the help.

This mud is for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode