phenix arizona - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

phenix arizona

I have a b uddy going to school in phenix, who is trying to convince me to go to, if I go I will do the deisol program, but I dont know much about that area or the school (UTI) UNIVERSTY OF TECH INSTUNTUTE.

I already backed out of one school after getting all my loans approved and classes all figured out, so I dont want to do it again. it was a big PITA to get the loans and even worse getting rid of them, so I dont want to go through that again.
UTI will be around 14grand but I can go back and retrain anytime for nothing so I think that makes it worth it?

let me know what you guys think
hopefully theress someone attending the school or in phenix that could give me some info.

thanks
Evan, sorry this isnt about trucks

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: phenix arizona

I graduated from UTI in 1989. I have never been sorry I attended there even for a second. I actually teach automechanics now for a local community college. I know it is a lot of $ but it is well spent. They will push you hard but stick to it and you'll make it. They have a very good reputation and it looks very good on a resume. Good Luck!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

everything Ive heard about the school is great, my buddy has learned so much, but hes in the auto desol program, and its costing him an arm and a leg,(somwhere over 20grand).
IM thinkgin hard on this, if I go Ill be able to stay at his place, he even said hed get me a job working as a fleet mechanic, cuae hes there head mechanic. class is only from 7:30 am to 1:30 pm so Ill be able to work full time.

Im thinking thatr 14g is isnt that bad conceidering what you get, even then the payments dont start untill 6 months after school and ther only 100 bucks a month.

its sounded good to me. Im just kinda thinking outloud

a87
maybe ill be school bound in amonth or so?
thankx for the reply

Evan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 01:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

14grand sounds like a lot of money to me to learn how to work on diesel engines. Isn't there a local community college around where you live that teaches that? If there is it would be alot cheaper than going to a privately owned school. Just for example, one of my best friends wanted to learn to be an aircraft mechanic so he checked out a place here in town (San Antonio) called Hallmark Institute of Technology and they wanted 19grand for their aircraft mechanic program. He then checked out a local community college that offered the same program for about a total of $2500 dollars. Now Hallmark is losing their ass to the college because everyone is going there now cause its so much cheaper. If you like working on diesel engines how about starting off as a mechanics helper like at a big truck dealership, that would be a good start. Good Luck.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 02:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Buddy of mine went there. He really seems to know his stuff. He never has trouble finding work and he makes good money too. Sounds like a worthwhile thing to do with your time.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 02:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Kid, A local community college would be a lot cheaper. But, if you did go to phoenix and saved your money while you were there you'd prolly be alright. How long is the program there? And how long do you have to pay back the loan? Those would be two things to think about. Because the length of time you have to pay it back will affect how much money you have to pay a month. You probably know that though.

Going back to school is going to help you in the long run. Thats why I'm going back this fall. You'll have a lot more options as far as jobs. And a lot of places are wanting some sort of schooling. I'm only 20 and I worked for the up rail road. I fueled trains there and when I stoppped and looked at everyone there a lot of them hate it there. But it's like they're stuck. I didn't want to be like that. I say go for it [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I was enrolled in a junior college that has the diesel program, but I backed out at the last sec. that was a 11 month program that would run me about 6g plus living expesnses. not sure why I backed out but I did.

UTI will loan the full 14 grand. and the payments untill six month after I get finished, and the payments are 100 bucks a month for the rest of your life. but everything Ive heard about them is good.

right now Im weighing UTIs diesel program agaisnt going to lineman school. last night I thought I decided tp go to uti but today Im thinking lineman school, I think Id make more as a lineman and it doesnt cost near as much as UTI, and Id also be traveling alot wich is a plus for me.

and Im not sure I want to be a greese monkey, ya I like working on all kinds of stuff, but do I want to do it 8 hours a day 6 days a week, Im nnnot sure.

thanks for all the replys, hopefully I decide on something withn the next few months.

Thanks
Evan

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hobbies are fun. Sometimes you think that it would be fun to have that hobbie be your job but, would it be fun anymore?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 09:54 PM
Can't Get Enough

I love being a mechanic and working on vehicles. Especially when I learn something new about them. That is one reason I try to read every post on here I can to see what you people can teach me. I have been working as a HMMWV mechanic(and other various military vehicles) for 4.5 years and would love to work for GM as a tech.

KID As for UTI, I had 4 friends going there when I was attending DeVry(another good school for you interested in electronics) and they were learning so much I was jealous. The training is very comprehensive and thourough. And this ws at the Phoenix campus(a great place to live). I would love to be able to go there, but I have a wife and daughter I am supporting now that require a lot of attention. Maybe GM will pay me to go to their tech school in a couple years....

88 crewcab w/38's. For sale.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 09:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wheres "phenix" at?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode