T-case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 09:39 AM
Kendog454

T-case

A few months ago I posted about my garbage NP 208 case. Your replies told my that my lift is the reason that it doesn't like to stay in 4 Hi. How can I go about fixing this problem? I cant stand goin in 4 lo all over the place, and I wanted to find out the cheapest route to solving my problem. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 05:59 PM

Re: T-case

I didn't see your last post about this, but my guess is that you need a T-case drop kit or your lincage is screwed up and it isn't being put into 4x4 al the way. What is it doing exactly? Lever moving out of 4-HI all by it's self, Lever not moving but 4x4 stops working sometimes? What kind of noises are you hearing (pop, grind, nothing)? Just as a quick experiment, shift into 4hi and then remove the lincage from the t-case. Drive around and see if it still does it. If it doesn't then it is probably your lincage, and it needs to be adjusted. if it does then is is probably because of the lift (or a broken t-case) and some options need to be explored carefully (swap, rebuild, lowering t-case kit, etc.).
Another thought I just had... Is it possible that you have a broken tranny/t-case mount and when the lincage is in just the right spot (4-HI) the movement of the tranny under torque moves the shifter for you?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 06:23 PM
Kendog454

The shifter moves into 4Hi all the way to the stop, but when I let go, it does not stay engaged. It stays in 4Lo perfectly, but when I shift into 4hi, it feels as if it's a straight shift. In other words, it feels as if it is not being held by a stop or detent or whatever. When I am in 4 wheel, there is clanking and a faint shearing; both noises getting louder as I turn and quiter as I resume a straight path. When I let up on the clutch to move forward if I'm in pretty deep sand, sometimes there is a loud clank as I put torque on the system, and then I take off. The clank maked me think that there is some sort of binding somewhere, or at least thats the idea I get in my head when I hear it. I heard this from someone on this board, and so as an experiment I did what he said and I put it into 4 lo, reversed for about 15 feet, and then shifted into 4Hi, and to my amazement, It stayed there until I ran into a large bump, and the tires dug in and I had to put it in low again. But that's my situation. Also, if I leave the truck sitting for about a week, it'll slowly drip ATF fluid from the case, and stop as I drive it again (everyday driving, not 4 wheeling.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 07:28 PM

Sounds to me like you have an internal shifting problem (something not doing what it is supposed to inside). The leak shouldn't be anything related to this, however it should be fixed. Adding the lift may cause funny things to happen and it probably would magnify existing problems but if it was instaled properly it wouldn't have caused this I don't think. My verdict.... go to the 4x4graveyard and replace, or rebuild existing T-case.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 08:19 PM
Kendog454

If I put in a 205, what would I need new and what could I keep from my existing setup. I have a 1985 K 20 3/4 ton

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 09:16 PM

You need to talk to a real guru on swapology for this one. As for bolting up to the tranny, I don't see why it wouldn't if the 205 comes from a similar year truck, and if it doesn't I think I remember something about factory adaptors??. Make sure that spline counts and output methods are the same, also check t-case legnth and you'll be in buisness. If that isn't possible, maybe you can yank the driveshafts off of the donor vehicle too? I've done lots of patching - replacing - and rebuilding for budgets, most of the people I have helped didn't have the cash for parts. so that's why I'm not too sure on swaping. Just incase you didn't know the low range on a stock 205 is 1.96:1, if you don't mind losing a bit of your crawl ratio for a bulletproof T-case then that's fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode