O/T; Outboard boat engine problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 03:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

O/T; Outboard boat engine problem

I spent about 4 hours working on this thing today and still couldn't get it to run worth beans, even after I finally did get it running.

1977 Evinrude 35HP outboard, two cylinder, 2 stroke. Boat sunk dockside about 3 years ago after heavy rain, then we pulled it out and got it running again. It always ran a little rougher after that.

The boat/motor sat for about 2 years outdoors on the trailer. Today, we power washed it, put fresh gas in, all the fun stuff to clean it up and get it running. I finally got it running on one cylinder, I think, with the lower unit in a garbage can full of water. I pulled the spark plugs and one had a milky mess on it - gas and water mix, I thought. I left the plugs out and cranked the engine over for about 20-30 seconds using the starter to purge the fuel lines and after about 10-15 seconds, big drops of water started flying out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. I stopped cranking, checked things out a bit, then cranked again and the same exact thing happened. The longer I crank it over, the more water seems to comes out of the plug holes.

Any ideas on what is going on with it? This is obviously not supposed to happen.

Thanks

<font color=blue>I like animals. They taste good.</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 04:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: O/T; Outboard boat engine problem

I have a 1965 100hp johnson golden meteor that did the same thing. Just like a car they have head gaskets and water jackets. They corode more since lakes and rivers dont have antifreeze in them(yet), Any rate goto auto zone or (insert local major chain) and purchase outboard repair manual. Or just pull the heads. It is a unwritten rule if the motor sinks it is trash. Sorry! Good luck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most Definately a head gasket. It would be a real good idea to replace it. I had a 6.5HP Sea king (merc) on a john boat once and it blew a head gasket and the engine burnt up. I guess because the water was not circulating properly around the cylinders. The white engine paint baked to tan and it didnt have any compression at all. The whole time it was spitting out water so I know the water pump was good. I might be inclined to put a new thermostat in too, just for good measure. I dont like things with out gauges! If you do pull the head check the cylinder bores for obvous signs of rust. Also check the compression. I had a friend who fliped my john boat with my 6 HP Johnson running. It started as soon as we drained all the water out of it but it only ran a mile and that was it. I guess the cold water on the hot bores/rings wasnt a good thing. I honed the cylinders with a brake cylinder hone and put a new set of rings in it and it seems to be doing good. If you do go to take the whole thing apart, be careful with the rod bearings, they are rollers, mine had 30 on each rod.
Good Luck,
Mike

Good Guys Wear Bow-Ties
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 09:07 PM
Veteran

Just an idea for ya...My friend had the same problem with build-up in the water jackets of his 18 horse 1978 Johnson and what he did was simple and cleaned everything up without un-doing a single bolt. He got some rad-cleaner and mixed it with water (or what ever the directions say) and then put it in a 5 gallon pail and sumerged the prop in it and started it up and let it idle for quite while and had another pail catching the water/rad cleaner out the engine pisser thingy!!! once it was full he just dumped it back into the bottom pail and kept going. After a while water became real dirty from all the crud that was comming out so he started all over again with a fresh batch. In the end.....it worked amazing and everything was super clean and it didn't hurt a thing.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well i had a 25merc that flew off the boat while running and we fixed it and it runs fine to this day (sold it to a guy dad works with). anyways - replace all the gaskets, water pump and clean out carbs including new floats and gaskets. all this stuff is pretty inexpensive and should take care of you. my best friend is a marine mechanic so i will ask him tomorrow if theres anything particular he thinks.

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info guys. I'm not up to speed too much on troubleshooting outboards, but if it comes to ripping one apart and putting it back together to replace gaskets and such, it shouldn't be a problem. I use to work at a marina and I've seen outboards torn down, I just never really got into the functionality of the how's and what's of the components.

<font color=blue>I like animals. They taste good.</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode