put lift on: temporary brake failure - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 12:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

put lift on: temporary brake failure

i know this belongs more on the s10 board, but im not getting any replies over there so maybe you guys can help.

i have a litte problem. not long ago i put a 3" suspension lift on my 2000 2wd s10. during the lifting process we had a bunch of trouble with the brake lines because the ones that i was sent with the kit didnt fit, so we finally ended up finding adapter fittings to make them work. well when all was put on, we bled the brakes and i got to drive my truck again. here comes the problem. when i turn my wheels to full lock now, my brakes fail, but only for one pump. its really strange. after i turn my wheels all the way, the next time i use the brakes my pedal goes to the floor, if i pump it again it works.

i took the truck in for an alignment and forgot to tell them about it when i dropped the truck off. when i went to pick it up they were kinda upset with me. on the slip they gave me saying what all was out of alignment and what they did, the guy wrote "vehicle has brake failure. vehicle considered dangerous." i kinda laughed at that but i do need to get it fixed.

i was told by a mechanic that the reason its doing this is because my brakes have to be bled by a machine at the dealership. is this true??? he said that the new braking systems are partially computer controlled and when bleeding the brakes, a computer(at the dealership) has to tell the hydrolic system to open some valves or something. but im not so sure that is the problem, because if there was air in there somewhere, wouldnt my brakes fail other times???...its the at full lock thing that baffles me.

thanks

Jonathan Rogers
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 12:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: put lift on: temporary brake failure

Do you have power assist brakes that use the power steeing pump? Dealer will bleed brakes from master cylinder back. I think its called power bleeding. A better way to bleed them. Used for hydraulic clutch bleeding as well.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 03:12 AM

My 95 fullsize 2wd has the exact same problem. I put a 6" fabtech lift on. Full lock = no brakes. Anyway, if you get an answer or figure it out, let me know. Thanks.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 06:01 PM
Drew K1500

Same problem on my 1/2 ton 4x4 with 3" Skyjacker lift. Problem seems to be that the brake lines were being stretched to much and the brake lines would actually expand. The rubber lines (i guess they are rubber) are stretched which makes the thickness of the lines thinner. Therefore the pressure of the brake fluid will press outward on the lines instead of on the piston in the brake caliper. You need longer brakes lines and also try the lines that are wire wound.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610
Fly Your Flag, Support our Veterans

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the brake lines i have are plently long, they are the extended ones that came with the kit... also they are steel braided, so they arent expanding any.

Jonathan Rogers
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i figured it out, my calipers are hitting the a-arm on full lock, this compresses the pads and sends all the fluid up to the master cylinder. so when i go to mash the brakes, its not there. simple fix, all i have to do is adjust the steering stops, but now my turning radius is going to suck even more... oh well. thank god those stops are adjustable.

thanks for the replys

Jonathan Rogers
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 01:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Unless you let the master cylinder go dry while you have the brake lines off, there is no reason to need to power bleed. This is only required when air gets into the ABS system.

Another option four the caliper hitting the control arm may be to trim it. If you were to trim you may need to box the control arm though. This way you still have your steering radius {Extremly important here in Washington)

1982 Blazer 6 inch suspension, 3 inch Body, 427 (1967 435 horse version),19.5/18-16.5 Boggers (3 14 bolts and 3 Dana 60's scattered}
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

simple fix

Get a 4x4 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode