Hydrolic Steering...How do I do it??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Hydrolic Steering...How do I do it???

Just curious how the hydrolic systems work like that on forklifts and what I see on some 4x4's sometimes? I was at another truck pull today looking at some of the Chevys like the one I am building and I noticed that both of them had this system because they are running 35" tires at stock height and both were running coil springs with the axle tubes almost touching the frame. So there for there was no room for any steering components(not even if you went with a cross-over system. So I guess what I am wondering is what I have to do to make it work and also what parts I need to find.

There is a place just 5 minutes from my house that deals with fork lifts and tow motors and I am sure I could pic of the parts for pretty cheap because I know the one guy. How exactly does the whole steering wheel to pump/cylinder work???

Thanks...Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 11:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Hydrolic Steering...How do I do it???

Ever drive a fork lift? I get to every once in a while at work. Kinda fun.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 04:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ryan, send Boss a private about this and he'll send you info on it. It still uses mechanical linkage but it will get you pointed in right direction. Search on rock ram here for pics of titanics setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 12:15 PM
imported_ChevyLover

Take a look at some of the newer 4WD tractors (John Deere, Ford, Kubota, etc) and look at their hydraulic steering. If you are going fully hydraulic (no mechanical linkage), you will need an orbital valve. You could do a setup like the monster trucks use for rear steer, but it is fully manual (no self-centering) but is easier to do and cheaper. It all depends on your personal needs.

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-465259-three.jpg (21.5 KB, 1 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 12:29 PM

Never driven a Forklift though I've driven a CAT Excavator before.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Ripping stumps, from 3'+ diameter trees, out of the ground as well as pulling up entire stands of willows is really easy.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What amazed me though is how quickly you forget about what your hands are doing.

--Drew
83 S10 4x2
I AM <font color=red>CA</font color=red><font color=white>NADI</font color=white><font color=red>AN</font color=red>!
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 11:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CAT huh? We have a Case W14 or is it W15? Anyways we have one of those at work. I haven't driven that, but I've driven our Case "Construction King" forklift. That thing sucks, even our Ford forklifts lift more, and that's just really sad. Do you drive semi's around at all? Every so often I get to drive them around the yard at work. I think those are the most fun.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 11:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I dont have any info on the hydrolic steering just takeign this post back to the top so some with some knowledge about it may see it, and follow the subject line.

IF ITS GOT WHEELS OR A SKIRT YOU CANT AFFORD IT
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 12:23 AM
deepnsteeP

Not too sure about how fork lifts work. I guess I have always thought that they are just like a backwards tractor or small truck........drive wheels in front (hydraulic) and small hydraulic cylinders to turn the rear wheels. Now what would be really cool and I bet no one could say that they have one is to have steering like a swather or I guess an excavator or caterpiller would be the same way too..........have the difference in axle speed do the work [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]. I bet you could rig up a hydraulic pump and motors at all four wheels.............hrrrrmmmmm, now that would take some creative engineering.

Oh well better quit thinking and typing at the same time or I might just hurt myself. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

If it hurts, soak it in cider!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 12:32 AM

Hmm, hydraulic motors. No U-Joints to break. No transmission. Gobbs of torque. Run a huge GPM pump on a 350 or something. Hmmmm. You got me thinking now. Hydraulic motors are cheaper than axles too.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I posted this late last year and I was resently looking on the web for other hydrolic steering systems and I found this. I know its a ford and there arn't to many pics of the setup but it gives pretty good detail on how it works. So I thought you all might want to see and read it too.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bh4wheelers.com/Personal%20Web%20Pages/Scott%20Wrigglesworth/hydraulicsteering.htm>http://www.bh4wheelers.com/Personal%20Web%20Pages/Scott%20Wrigglesworth/hydraulicsteering.htm</a>

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode