how do i disable DRL? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 02:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

how do i disable DRL?

Anybody know how to disable the daytime running lights on a 97 Z71? Mine are the same brightness on DRL or when I turn on the headlights. I thought they should be dimmer in daytime and be brighter when you turn on the headlights. So I'm not sure if my low beams are as bright as they should be when headlights are on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 02:29 AM
Veteran

Re: how do i disable DRL?

Check out the S-10 forum.
There are quite a few posts about it today

1994 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT. Trailmaster 4" lift
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 10:50 AM

OK, I'm lost. What the hell is going on here? I see this post (and others) that talk about '97s and DRLs. My owner's manual says that that funny looking green light on the left side of the Dashboard (shaped like a "brights" symbol) means DRLs. On my truck this light only appears when the truck is in a ready to go state (E-brake off, engine runing, etc.) But there are no lights on outside! Have my DRL's been overridden before I bought the truck? Is something wrong? Or did my truck just not come with them? I have read the manual cover to cover and I don't think it says how to turn them off/on. This really confuses me and I would appriciate any help on this one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 12:44 PM

Lawdog...... I did some research and everybody says to pull fuse #15 for your truck. that should kill the DRLs. On newer trucks there is a button to press a few times until you hear a chime but that doesn't apply to us (I have a '97 also). My darn problem is that I can't figure out how to turn mine on! I probably won't leave them operational if I figure it out, but I want to know if something is broken on my truck. I can't handle something to be broken - even if I don't like the lights.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 01:23 PM
Can't Get Enough

Hey Rebel when you figureit out let me know. I have the same problem on my 99 Suburban. I have the green light looking indicator for the DRL but no lights on outside. I would probably not want them either but I DO want to know why they are not on.

Laters, Ryan

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 02:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I heard that the DRLs can be disabled if you push your parking brake down a notch or two, with out the parking brake actually being on.

(My truck is a '91 so I have never tried this.)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 12:12 PM

All you need to do is pull the fuse out of the fuse box. I believe it is the number 15 fuse. I pulled my fuse out cause i didnt like having drl's on in my car, especially because i put xenon's on my truck. Just to double check, check your tahoes manual, and one of the options will say DRL'S.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 04:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rebel,

On my 98 the headlight switch has a postion you leave it in for DRL its one ahead of parking lights and one back of reg lights. but the green light is always on whether i have the drl on or off.

DJ

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 06:01 PM

itshb.......and who ever else cares.

Thanks for the reply, I just went to check if my switch had a DRL area and it doesn't. All I have is off-parking lights-headlights. I do have a dome override button, and just for $hits & grins I pressed it several times - still no DRLs. I changed fuse #15 - no lights. I have also looked for broken/cut wires - didn't find any. "E" brake is not set, and the green light in the dash does work. I called the dealer and told them all of this, they said that if nothing is wrong (fuse, wire, ect.) that there is a way to do it with the computer and maybe ILLEGALLY<--(see note below) someone used the tech2 programmer on my computer to turn them off. So basicly they want $45 to hook up the computer to make me legal again! I told them that's bull**** my truck looks like an older truck at a glance so I doubt I'll be pulled over for it.

NOTE...

Why is it illegal to turn the DRL off? This truck now functions exactly like my '90 does, so is my 90 chev. also illegal? Or is that just one of those stupid laws that say if it was meant to be working and it isn't you are illegal? <-- I have heard of a law like this, a buddy of mine added over 200 lights to his semi. 3 months later a cop pulled him over and ticketed him for not having all lights operational. The light that was out wasn't even a factory light, it was one of the added 200!

Any of you guys that went to chevy tech school hear about this computer BS or are they trying to rip me off?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast

Post deleted by Shootist

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode