Antifreeze Leaking - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Antifreeze Leaking

I have a 1997 Z71 with 85K miles. It has been leaking antifreeze. It seems to be off to the side not under the water pump. So, I think it is not the water pump. A mechanic told me that the newer GMC vortec engines have a flaw in the intake manifold (a plastic seal)and that is where my leak is at. The antifreeze eats up the plastic and forms a leak. Has anyone had this problem???? I do not know if I should trust this guy or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 10:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Antifreeze Leaking

well, its not the manifold, its the fittings on the end of the coolant lines. my dad just had to replace both of em on his 95 tahoe. ive heard of lots of others have to do the same thing. where the lines go into and out of the water pump, each fitting is very prone to breaking and leaking. best thing to do is go to an auto parts store and have them make you a normal one on the end of a section of hose

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

are you talking about the heater hose where it has a strange fitting, looks like a quick connect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yup - those are the ones! you can just replace them with a normal one. just hope it doesnt break off inside the water pump like ours did. we had to use an easy out to get it out

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

dude, i didn't feel like taking all that stuff off, so i went to auto zone and bought radiator stop leak made by coastal lubricants and dumped it in. it leaked for a about a day after, and then it quit. that was in december of last year, not a leak yet!
the cheapie way!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 11:26 AM
72dreamer

if the antifreeze would eat the plastic, then why wouldn't it eat the plastic in the cooloant overflow resevoir? that guy's trying to make some dough off of you i suppose.

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 11:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

he had another GMC in the bay and showed me how the gasket leaked. he said this was a common problem. well i guess i will replace the hose and see what happens. thanks

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 05:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JTZ71
I have a 96 Vortec and had some pretty bad luck in the anti-freeze department.First around 40,000 I lost the coolant fan, then about 8000 after the water pump went. Then to top it off at 55,000 the intake gasket decided it was time to create a nice weekend project and start leaking.So it could be anyone of these problems. I also seen the heater Quick connect brak at the water pump on a 95. The intake gasket is plastic with a rubber seal around the coolant passages. It looks like the rubber splits. Bad design or bad material I do not know. Will have to wait and see how long the aftermarket gasket lasts. So my suggestion is if you do not trust this guy get a second look at it. Hope this helps.

84 Xtra cab(looking for trail 4runner)
91 Trooper
96 Z-71
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Today I got a few other opinions and they say it is the gasket. Just my luck. I hope to go to Colorado Sat. to camp and do a little off road mountain pass driving. We shall see if it can be fixed this quick. thanks for your post.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had two of those crappy quick connect heater hose fittings go bad on me[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] The first one broke off in the manifold when I tried to take it off[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] The second time it happened I replaced it with a good old-fashioned hose fitting[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] End of problem. If I had known then what I know now I would have replaced it with a regular hose fitting before it corroded and broke on me.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode