Electric Fans - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 03:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Electric Fans

I was outside just checking the oil and looking the engine over and I had an idea[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. I could ditch the stock fan and go to an electric setup with two fans side by side. I read about that somewhere and just remembered it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] That would be more efficient and that would add a small amount of hp, too, right? What other advantages and disadvantages would I have if I did do this? And I would like to know how hard it would be to do and what is involved and if you guys would have any recommendations on brand. Also if any of you have done this let me know what you think about it.

By the way, my truck is an '86 k10 with the stock 305. If you would need more info just let me know what. Thanks[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 03:57 PM

Re: Electric Fans

<font face="Comic Sans MS">It won't necessarily be more efficient. The electric fans will cause more drag on the alternator causing some power loss. But the best thing about the electric fans that might make you more efficient is you can get a thermostat to turn them on and off at set temperatures, so chances are they won't need to be on much on the highway...

You can find one out of a Cadillac, Buick, etc... Make sure it's out of a bigger luxury car with a bigger engine though. That should help ensure it'll be enough. Try to get some with the built in shroud. Not done it yet but it seems like it'd be pretty good...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 06:19 PM

Before you do any changes you should know that NO electric fan or combination of electric fans, will move as much air as your mechanical fan. FACT

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i was also wondering the same thing if i put on an tranny cooler if it would be a good idea to put a fan on it to push air across it & to also help push air across the a/c condensor since the tranny cooler will block some air crossing through it.

I'm Sooner Breed!!!! Sooner Born!!! and when I die ill be Sooner Dead!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 09:41 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Actually I'm pretty sure that some setups (such as the V8 powered front wheel drive cars likely use) would come pretty close. Especially when you consider factors such as the computer running the engines as lean as possible for most efficiency and best emissions, etc... That makes 'em even harder to cool... That'd be why I recommended grabbing the setup from one of those models... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 10:05 PM
Mud in my Veins

Hey, here's my thinking. I've had problems overheating in the mud and I think I know why. I run it up to 4K rpm in reverse and I notice it warming up, so I get off the throttle and let it idle. it continues to climb and then i hear it boiling so I shut it off. When the engine is idling the fan goes slower since it is connected straight to the engine crank. Well, with an electric fan, you could run full blast even at idle, and could even turn the sucker off when going through deep water. Part of the problem is that i probably have only 5% antifreeze/95% water. But, you get the idea. Plus, I was thinking that if I got an electric water pump AND and electric fan, I could turn the truck off completely and leave them running and that sucker would cool off FAST because it's not generating heat. Plus, like you said, you could turn it off on the highway, it doesn't use engine power (directly), and it's quite a bit lower profile so you have more room to work in the engine compartment (not that us FORD guys have to worry about that )

whatcha think?

ArkansasMud.com, proud home of the sticky brown mud
Muddybronco
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, muddybronco - youre right on. thats why race cars use electric fans & electric water pumps. for one, it eliminates some of the drag put on the engine to turn them but most importantly, you can turn them on without the engine running to cool it quicker BUT make sure you remember to turn them on everytime you crank your truck or you could overheat quickly without realizing it!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] but the problem is - have you seen the price of the electric water pumps?!?! my buddy just got one for his drag car (302) and it was $320 with the harness and swivel therm housing, but only b/c we know the owner of CSI - he lives in gville and were good friends with his daughter [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] so he said hed give us stuff for his cost to manufacture it. but retail they are like $400 just for the pump!!! i plan on getting an electric fan when i rebuild my engine though. as far as the only 5% antifreeze that shouldnt make it cool worse - the best coolant is actually 100% pure water, the antifreeze is, you got it - to keep it from freezing in the winter. and another thing about the electric fan & water pump, being a FORD you need some non-ford parts that you dont have to worry about breaking!! and you have to work on that darn thing often enough, you sure need the extra room in the engine compartment!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's - other goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 12:30 AM
Can't Get Enough

blackthunder, I have a 1-ton with a trannycooler that came stock with a small electric fan. it would be a good idea.

88 crewcab w/38's. For sale.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I installed the Flex-a-lite #250 dual electric fan. It is rated at pulling 5200 cfm. On the plus side, i rigged up my own fan switch setup(going into the block, instead of the remote in the radiator) for it to kick the fans on at 185 degrees(or when a/c is on) and off at 175. Works real well, can notice the most difference in stop-n-go type driving. On the negative I installed this on my 98 GMC Z-71, well the fans take 30 amps, so at a idle i really noticed the power draw, especially at night with lights on. So that lead me to install a 200amp Powermaster alternator.

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other

DJ

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

So what do you guys think. Swap or not? The way I figured
-it would give me more room
-at idle you could run it full bore to cool quicker
-it would be somehow more effecient?????[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Basically I figured it would have to be more efficient because it wouldn't be belt driven. Not relying on the engine to use the energy to turn the thing would add a small amount of power. But the engine is still producing the juice to power it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. It would be harder on the electrical side because it would draw more juice, especially more at idle. So would it be worth it? I mean I do quite a bit of city driving.

I can't decide whether it would be better to change it or not.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The scale really doesn't tip either way so far. Atleast not with the information I have now.

Scooby- How much less air do those things move? Compared to your stock one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode