Make my GMC more street usable - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Make my GMC more street usable

I have a 1988 GMC sierra stepside 350,4x4,automatic. I am not really going to be going off roading that much anymore because of the new paint job and was wondering if there are shift kits to make my truck faster on the street,I will still use 4X4 in the winter. Also would a shift kit increase gas mileage and would it be hard to install? What other products are available for increased gas mileage? Also How fast does my truck go Does it shut off at 85 or 90? Iwant more highway speed and yes i do have overdrive.

THANK YOU

1988 GMC sierra1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 04:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Make my GMC more street usable

What did you pull the 340 out of an old Dodge Dart?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Actually, I think the Gov'ner kicks in at about 100MPH. What is it about your truck that you think needs improving? If you think your tranny could perform better then maybe put in a kit and a cooler but that won't make you go any faster... Right???

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 04:51 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">A shift kit won't help you go faster... Quicker maybe but your overall top speed would remain the same. Nitrous, a supercharer, shift kit, lower gearing (higher numerically) will all help make you quicker... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

If you want more highway speed you have to regear your differentials with higher gears (lower numerically) to fool the truck into thinking it's going slower than you are. You sacrifice acceleration for that.

Please do not make your truck faster. If you want speed, get a sport car. One that is designed with high performance brakes, wide sticky tires, and other such items that you REQUIRE if you intend to drive fast on a regular basis... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 06:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your truck won't have a built in speed limiter. Early style computer system. a 700r4 shift kit shouldnt take more then a hour to install. Pretty simple design.

good luck
DJ

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

put smaller tires on it for more of the line oomph. Will take away from top end. But you speedo will say your going fast. Like those little low riders that go around town at 100mph and get passed. They must think people are nuts passing them so fast. And when you get a tickett you will always get a break! A shift kit just amkes the tranny shift harder. The directions are good. You need to drill some holes and remove little BB's. But the directions are good. Also remove the vac modulator. Then it hits really hard at all points.Seems like it would wear the tranny more but it is supposed to help it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yea thanks for the comments
I dont really need any top speed i just want it quicker down low so is that what a shift kit would do? Would a shift kit save gas or eat more gas?

1988 GMC sierra1500
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 04:44 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">All a shift kit does is make the clutches slip a different amount. You'll get harsher shifts rather than the smooth "yuppie style" shifts that it currently does... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Might get you a little quicker because it won't take as long to shift, but that's about it.

If you really want increased low end (and acceleration in general) you need to do either engine mods, or change the gear ratios (front and rear diff, keep 'em matched or kiss some expensive parts goodbye) to lower ratios (higher numbers)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 06:46 PM

My daily driver is a 2wd version of your truck, same year too,I had my truck goin 125 Mph and it didnt shut off, didnt even burp.

Soon to be 1976 chev K-30, 427,t400,203,D60F,14Br,4.56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode