How much to ask for parts I'm selling? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 02:54 AM
SHOTGUN

How much to ask for parts I\'m selling?

Ok gang I bought a parts truck back in December that I got the 350 for my 79 out of. Well its a wrecked 73 1-ton extended wheelbase delivery truck. The guy was using it everyday for his Cabinent business. Then one of his co-workers caught the corner of semi-trailer and totaled it. It sat for about 2 years then I went and pulled the motor and now its been about another 6 months, but I've been waiting for this guy to get his delivery box off where I can bring the thing to my house and finish parting it out for some extra $$$.

Anyways like I said the truck is just a chasis cab, and the wreck just ruined all of the sheetmetal. On the upside its got a good duallie rear axle (not sure what it is, its factory GM) and 2wd 4-spd granny transmission. Well I've got one friend telling me I'd have no problem getting $600-700 for the rear axle alone. Then another telling me I could get $1000 easy. I didn't really ask about the tranny, but I'm really confused. I want to get rid of these parts because I really need the extra $$$ for my truck. I just got my rebuild kit today ($280 wholesale, mostly stock rebuild with performance Comp Cam), but I've got to get some more money before I can let my friend get started on rebuilding it.

So see really all I want to know is how much should I be asking for these parts because I don't want to get taken to the cleaners, and I don't want to have 'em marked so high that nobody wants 'em?????

P.S. The complete front suspension is still holding together any ideas on how much I might be able to get for that?

"The Surgeon General Never Said Anything About Smoking a Ford"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 04:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How much to ask for parts I\'m selling?

I'm not sure how much each of those parts are worth. But here's a tip, check e-bay and other sites like it also check your local papers for similar parts, that will give you a general idea for how much this stuff is worth. Personally I think your friends estimates are a little high.

My truck ain't leaking oil it's marking it's territory!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 07:27 AM
Veteran

I would say the rear is in the ball park of about $500. (you can pick them up, up here in Ontario for $500(350US) so you probably can't get much more than that. I would sugjest calling up the local wrecking yard and seeing what there worth and then selling it for that or a little less. Im not even sure what axle it would have though. Probably the Eaton but could be a 14bolt or a Dana70.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 12:21 AM
Mud in my Veins

Well, you should have a 14FF rear. GM stopped using the Eaton after the 72's. Thing is, GM started using the Dana 70 for the rears of duallies in 77. So for 4 years from 73 to 76, they used a rare version of the 14FF. My copy of the March 2000 issue of <font color=red>4x4 Power</font color=red> says this pertaining to the axle on your truck:
"A rare dual wheeled version with a narrowed housing was offered for chassis-cab K30s." Did it always have that work box there, or did it have a regular bed when new? So it may be rare, but I really doubt you would be able to get more than a few hundred for it. 14FF's are pretty common, and if someone ever manages to break something, parts for this one aren't the regular variety of 14FF parts.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

What gears are in it?

Try taking some measurements from the one on your Chevy to this one, and see what is different.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2" lift, 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD stuff[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an old '81 14ff with 4.10 gears sitting in my garage. It also has the stock rims. How much is that worth? My grandpa gave me it as a project but he said to just sell it if I didn't want it. I think I'm just going to leave my truck a half ton. I really don't wheel hard enough to justify that upgrade. Besides I'm going to school so I could use the money. I was thinking I would just sell it for $350. That sound like a good price? I mean I might take a little less for it just to get rid of it. My stuff evidently takes up a lot of room in the garage[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode