Speed Governor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 02:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Speed Governor

Well, cruising to meet a friend for a few hours about 300 miles away and having to get back to work the same day, I quickly discovered how the speed limiter works on my 97 K1500. At 100mph it just cuts on out until you hover at 95mph then the engine kicks back in. I know it's fairly easy to disconnect. I'll do it pretty much pending on what I hear from y'all. Though 100mph is not exactly my cruising speed, well heh, sometimes... Does this impact anything else? Is the limiter piggybacking anything else electrical that would screw up timing etc etc? Or is it a stand alone that won't mess anything up? And thanks for all the input in my previous post. 4 days and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Speed Governor

i was under the impression the only way you can over-ride the limiter is reprogram the computer?? my buddy just got a 2001 chevy this weekend and was asking me how to do this and i told him you cant do it cheap

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine went away when I changed my VehicleSpeedSensorBuffer. Not sure how you would eliminate it though with the stock VSSB.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 08:46 PM

I don't think my '97 came with one. I was almost late for a class over an hour away - well to make a long crappy story short, I went past one of those speed warning things by the side of the road. It read 105MPH and it was blinking furriously. The reason I think it was just a warning thing is because this has been 2 months ago and I still haven't gotten a ticket.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As far as I know, all of the late model trucks with ECM/PCMs came with one. That's how your tranny knows when to shift, your ABS knows when to kick in, etc., etc.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 09:06 PM

Those speed things are always off. According to them, my speedo is right....that can't be right...

90K5

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 02:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JET makes a piece called SCU 2000, you can get it at summitracing.com for $139 plugs in between the speed sensor on the auto trans for 96-2001 GM trucks. recalibrates for different tires, gears, and Removes the speed limiter. easy hookup powerwire, ground, and the plug in. 4 dials to set 1. stock tire size(off door if you dont know) 2. stock gear ratio (if you dont know look up code in glove box) 3. modified tire size (i had to do chalk line roll out and measure) 4. modified gear size. took about 1/2 hour to install part#50100

DJ

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 03:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks a bunch! I saw one of those, that is what I was thinking of. Glad to know that it is the part, and looks fairly straightforward. Much appreciated. Time to head over to summitracing.com!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode