z-71 tires and lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 10:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

z-71 tires and lift

hey guys! i was out 4 wheeling with my girlfriend in a place we call the spillway here in new orleans, la. when we had finished, we went to the wash to clean the truck and there were some beasts there! there were 3 z-71's, all with 6 inch suspension and 3 inch body lifts. the only thing i noticed that did not look very good was that the trucks had 39" swamper tsl's. not only that, they all had ten bolt rears. still, imagine how funny i felt when i was there with my little 33's! anyways, is this actually a good setup? i thought nothing over 35's should be used on these trucks. I know they weren't taking it easy on these trucks either out there. i am only wondering because i already have the 3 inch body lift and the horrible 3 inch rough country lift, and i want a 6 inch suspension lift, but if i can run 39's with no trouble, then i am gonna definently do it.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 10:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: z-71 tires and lift

I've always heard that 35's are the biggest you really want to go with on IFS vehicles and with the 10-bolt. Anything bigger you should look into solid axle swap and larger rear. You can get away with bigger on IFS but then if should be more of a street truck. So your not happy with the Rough Country lift. They installed that on the off-road chevy page here on a tahoe. They seemed to like it. That's surprising how what works for some others hate.

- Rick -
98' GMC X-Cab Z-71 w/ 2" Body Lift, 33 x 12.50 BFG MT's on 15 x 8 Eagle 054 Gambler Rims, Custom Alpine/JL Audio System w/ two 10" W6 subs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the lit is the worst! all it does is blow upper ball joints, the upper control arms slam everything unless i take pressure of the t bars, then the truck is 2.5 inches lower than the rear, defeating the purpose of the kit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well thanks for the heads up on the lift...I was pondering that kit later on when the funds became available. My brother-in-law was looking into the Skyjacker kit for his. I've also looked into the Superlift kit. Your the only person I've heard that has had problems with the Rough Country kit, I wonder what experience others have had with them.

- Rick -
98' GMC X-Cab Z-71 w/ 2" Body Lift, 33 x 12.50 BFG MT's on 15 x 8 Eagle 054 Gambler Rims, Custom Alpine/JL Audio System w/ two 10" W6 subs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey could the ten bolt rear and front ifs hold 35 inch ssrs and still be drivin pretty hard and not break?

one day it will all happen
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 12:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would think it would hold up pretty well. Your rims play a factor in the wear of the ifs components as well. The wider the rim, the sooner you'll replace things like ball joints...etc. Some people can wheel pretty hard with 15 x 10's and 35's and never have problems, and some can break parts off the get go. I'm going to stick with 15 x 8's even if I go up to 35's in the future, they give less stress to the front end components and secondly they don't stick out as far drawing the cops attention because around here they will pull you over for tires sticking out too far.

- Rick -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode