Anyone have a cowl hood? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Anyone have a cowl hood?

Thinking about buying a cowl hood. Just a low profile one, maybe 1.5 or 2 in rise. I think I'd prefer steel over fiber. Anybody have one, and do ya like its quality?

Thx, later, Brian.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anyone have a cowl hood?

A friend has a fiberglass one on his 76 chevy. I think it is a harwood from Summit racing. It is about 4" of scoop. Look pretty sweet and so far has been durable but also he doesn't let anything but mud touch it. I've been looking at the goodmark steel hoods, they are about the same price ($400+/-) but they are lower profile. not sure on quality but I'm sure it is alot stronger that fiberglass.

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS
http://mnorby.virtualave.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 11:35 AM
muddfred

I put a Harwood fiberglass hood on my 79 Jimmy. I got a deal on it, $200 new from a guy who wrecked his truck before he could use it. It was a pain to install because of all the triming that had to be done on the edges. It had to be fit, trimmed, fit again and trimmed again. It is holding up good so far (over a year) and I got springs from Harwood so I don't have to use a prop rod. If I hadn't got such a good deal I probably would have gone with a steel one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't have one but I want one, maybe a 2" rise. I'm trying to talk my bro-in-law to get one for his ride when we fix it up. Then I can see how it looks and fits as well as the install.

- Rick -
98' GMC X-Cab Z-71 w/ 2" Body Lift, 33 x 12.50 BFG MT's on 15 x 8 Eagle 054 Gambler Rims, Custom Alpine/JL Audio System w/ two 10" W6 subs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

I wonder how the quality of these ones are. The price seems right and they look good, but???

I think this one looks kinda' cool.
http://www.prestigious1.com/images/Cowlhoods/CH4113942b.jpg
later, Brian.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 02:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been eyeing the Harwood for the 88-98 body style. They look sweet. I'd like to have the fiber for lightness. I mean what do have to do to thrash your hood anyway?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] And I always thought they were a direct bolt-up[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 03:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you decide to get one, stay away from Unlimited Fiberglass. They SUCK! It will keep the enging compartment cooler BUT the cowl vents will suck the hot air. On a hot day in slow traffic or on a trail, my vents on the cool setting will actually blow warm air from the engine because of the cowl hood.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 11:18 PM

Watch Trucks TV, they seem to put one in every week

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode