K1500 starting problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 04:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

K1500 starting problems

The starter in my 95 K1500 started making a loud clanking noise, but would not turn the engine over, almost 6 months ago. This noise is the starter engaging the flywheel, but it will not turn it. This problem just started without warning and did it when the truck was cold. It is not temperature sensitive and does not do it all the time. Turning the key on and off several times quickly will usually start the truck.
The starter has been changed "twice", the battery and batery cables and connectors have been changed as well as the ignition switch and lock cylinder. It will do it on a cold winter morning or a hot summer day, which makes it hard to diagnose. The only thing I have narrowed it down to, is that it will do it. I just never know when. The only positive thing is that is has never left me stranded, it will eventually start, usually with 5 or 10 turns of the switch, but it has gone for days without any problems.
Anyone else had this problem ? Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 09:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: K1500 starting problems

have you treid shimming the starter out and inspected the flywheel

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 10:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ironically I had same problem and turned out it was my fuel pump. If fuel pump doesnt hold or maintain pressure in line it could lead hard starting problems. Id check it to make sure and make sure its putting out proper pressure because they will run and not put out enough. Continued cranking would eventualy produce enough pressure to start.
Good Luck
BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 10:34 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">On the truck in the original question (95), the truck has an electric fuel pump. The fuel pump should run when you just turn the key to "on". To test for a fuel pump problem, you could leave the key turned to on for about 30 seconds to a minute and then try cranking it. It might start then on the first try, which could mean the pump is weak...

Have you tried using various shims on the starter to position it differently? Have you checked all of the teeth on the ring gear (flywheel/flexplate)? Look at 'em. It might make that noise because sometimes when your engine stops a bad tooth or teeth might be where the starter is trying to turn it at... Just a thought... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 10:53 PM
Drew K1500

My truck ran fine until i was 45 miles from home and when i went to start it up i had nothing. The fuel pump went bad. $75 towing fee. Heres the bad part. I went to remove the fuel sending unit from the tank and the tubes were all seized. That part is $375 and a dealer only item. The fuel pump was only $38 and a strainer $4. After i replaced everything i realized that i really didnt have to disconnect all of the tubes. All ireally had to do was loosen the sending unit from the tank and then drop the tank. Whole project set be back $500. Ouch.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 05:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The problem is the starter will engage the flywheel, but will not turn it. I don't see any problems with the fuel delivery, since it runs fine, once it turns over.
Not sure if shiming will help, since the original starter did not have them and did this also, that's why I changed it.
It does not grind, like a flywheel missing teeth, it just does not turn at all. The headlights do not dim and there are no signs of excess load from the starter.
With all the items changed, there has been no noticable difference with the systems.
Someone told me it may be a voltage drop at the starter, but the only things that have not been changed are the nuetral saftey switch (auto trans) and the wiring from the switch to the starter.
If it did it all the time I could figure it out, but it works more often than not.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 05:31 AM
Mud in my Veins

It doesn't seem like the neutral switch would be the culprit because you ARE getting a clank, which I assume is either the solenoid or the starter engaging the flywheel. Maybe something in the engine or tranny is binding up? Try rotating the engine with a wrench on the crank pull bolt and see how hard it is and if the resistance is uniform during a whole rotation. good luck

ArkansasMud.com, proud home of the sticky brown mud
Muddybronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode