transmission troubles and SES light on.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

transmission troubles and SES light on..

I'm starting to have occasional trouble with my '97 Chev. Silverado shifting EXTREMELY hard. I can stop and turn off the truck for a minute and the problem is gone when I restart. In the past few days, the SES light has come on but the tranny problem is still sporadic. Anyone had this problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 09:50 PM
whitetail204

Re: transmission troubles and SES light on..

I hate to say it man but your truck is about to take a sh1t on ya.Look for trans fluid in your radiator.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 10:01 PM
whitetail204

I dont mean to scare ya but the same thing happened to me last year.I also have a 97' Silverado with the plastic radiator.A small pin hole had been allowing trans fluid in the coolant and vise-versa and the clutches and everything else went slowly and im still flushing out the cooling system.I now run a seperate trans cooler and had the trans rebuilt ($1600)I hope this isnt your problem catch it early if you can so you dont rust out all internal parts in trans .Keep us posted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 10:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the tip. I just checked that out and everything looks okay in the radiator and transmission fluid, but I will check closer. It seems like some sort of electronic problem to me since restarting the truck (and computer) clears the problem. Dealer is trying to tell me that I need a new transmission without even looking at the truck! I won't be taking it there...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 10:22 PM
whitetail204

If the fluid level looks ok and your antifreeze dont smell funny it ts probably something else.I bought a code reader at Autozone for$150 it gives you the code and a brief description of possible problems.My truck also ran ok after i let it sit for a while.Good luck to ya also you can get a free diagnostic from AAMCO or other trans shops .

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 10:25 PM
whitetail204

By the way if you clear the computer by disconnecting the battery theses light wont come back right away most times after 25-50 starts if problem continues

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode