Mastercraft Courser /Cooper tires ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 02:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mastercraft Courser /Cooper tires ?

Some of guys on hear sugested these mud tires for my truck as a good buy for the money. I am hearing that they have extremly weak sidewalls . I also been advised that because Im putting 285/75/16 on stock 16X6.5J rims it could realy be a problem. Mainly my off road consist of deep Old tractor paths some mud so Im thinking I would need strong sidewall tire.
what do you think
BC http://www.mastercrafttire.com/image.../courserMT.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 02:11 PM
72dreamer

Re: Mastercraft Courser /Cooper tires ?

aw man! those are the tires i plan on getting. i guess sidewall strength has nothing to do with maximum load rating. they're rated at 3,300lbs max. i ASSumed if the tire could support that much weight then the sidewalls were strong enuff.
what are you hearing and from who? details............

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 03:36 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">The Coopers have a 2 ply sidewall. The BFG's have a 3 ply. If you want something with a real strong side wall go with some of the Interco tires, they get up into the 6 and 7 ply sidewall region.

The main place you need strong sidewalls is rock crawlin'. I would say you shouldn't have any trouble with the Cooper or BFG M/T's sidewalls in these situations. </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 03:46 PM
72dreamer

well that sounds good enough. mastercraft is somehow tied to cooper much like the pro-comps. i do want something stronger but i guess they'll do. right now i'm missing a 1/4" x 1/2" wide, 3/16" deep chunk of tire off my front driver side tire. i had to show the misses the hole and she agrees i should get new tires. he he! always better to play it safe!

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 11:24 PM
Mud in my Veins

You'll be fine. Something most people forget that on any good name brand MT with 2 ply sidewalls each ply is thicker than each of the 3 plys that BFG uses. BFG's is still thicker overall, but unless you are planning on rock crawling or are always wacking your tires off of jagged rocks, stumps, roots, and such on the trail and in the mud, you'll be fine. I have some 285/75R16 Pathfinder ATR's, an el cheapo all terrain if you have never seen them, and they are mounted on the 16x7 factory rims. Work great. I've had them aired way down and bulging, never a problem.

You'll be fine.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 02:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i got a set of mastercraft m/t about a month ago. i got the 285/75 16s. i have been in the mud a few times in them and have had no complaints at all. we always go up to a mountain in tennessee that has some really thick mud, but no rocks. as far as the cost goes, the mastercrafts beat the coopers by about $75, and beat the hell out of the bfgs. i would say go with the mastercraft...

hailey

ps. sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, i've had a few drinks tonight...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys,I will be going with the 285/16 Matercrafts on my 4X4 and cranking up the torsion bars for clearance.Thanks
BC

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 02:55 PM
Mud in my Veins

Just don't crank them much more than an inch and be sure to get an alignment after the new tires and cranking is done. Otherwise, have fun![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode