Brake Lights - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2001, 09:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brake Lights

I have been really busy for the last two months, I graduated, I moved, my fiancee's grandpa had quadrupal bypass surgery,the never endinng wedding planning and I started my "real job". My problem is last saturday night I was told I didn't have any break lights. I replaced the switch(second one this year.) then tonight I don't have them but spuratically. I don't know if has to do with the keyless entry( the lights are supposed to flash) or what it is, but I really want to get it fixed soon, I have to work on the car saturday(77 dodge colt, laugh all you want that 98 cid motor gets close to 30 mpg.) but i would like to solve this problem this weekend also. Please help if you can

Eric Peterson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2001, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Brake Lights

well all i can say is make sure your switch is adjusted right, and that jack has good contact (i would think its a poor connection somewhere, broken wire or something of that sort since you say your lights work when they feel like it, and it should be close to the switch since you moved them around replacing the switch and they sorta work, and if you still have the old switch, check and make sure it is bad, if it isn't than its got to be in the wires close to the switch, if it is than depands how it broke, if its melted, than your getting too much resistance somewhere overheating the switch (dirty connections, over heated greenish with white powder wires), you can also hot wire 12v to the wire(s) coming out of the switch and checking if the brake lights work right then, i don't know how sure you are that its the switch at fault, so im kinda covering a lot of ground). worst case scenerio you can always rewire the whole thing [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] other than that.....

Will work for mods
Current mods--> 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is this a common problem? My tail lights work sporatically also. I even got a ticket when I pulled out in front of a Trooper with them not working one night. Seems that my black truck/tailgate blends in real well with the night on dark country roads.
My headlights work fine and brakelights work when I hit the brake pedal. However sometimes my running tail lights dont work. I replaced the switch and they worked ok for a few days, then became sporatic again. If I wiggle the dash (kinda pull it out) they will come on and work. It seems like the wires are all ok (not chafed or beat up). How can I fix?
Thank you for any help. Yall are the best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 07:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Still have not had a chance to look through the wiring, but yours sounds like a ground problem. In my other truck(S-10) the ground under the dash came loose and my radio would go on and off with my blinkers.

Eric Peterson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode