Off Roading Forums banner

GM to use SOLID AXLE on the new HD's???

1K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  TEX 
#1 ·
GM to use SOLID AXLE on the new HD\'s???

I was shoping around for a good truck for my uncle's ranch today. I knew we wanted a new 3/4 ton HD, so I grabed a salesperson and to his office we went. I told him that I needed some convincing on why I should buy a Chevrolet with IFS, because I am leaning hard toward a SFA dodge. He started in on the "better ride" thing and the "better handling" thing but I told him it is a truck not a comaro so I don't care about that. He then came back with a response that got me really excited. He said that the 2002 or the 2003 Chevrolet HD's will have a solid (or live) front axle that is coil sprung with a 4 link setup. I just about fell to the floor in disbelief. I thanked him for his time and told him I'd be back with my uncle later. Well curiosity got the better of me so I went to the GMC/Nissan/Pontiac dealer on the other side of town and I asked them "will the 2002 or later HD's have SFA." He said that he can't confirm it but there were some guys from gm came to the dealership and they did mention it.

Is it true?? Will Gm fineally wise up?? I hope so!

If you would, please call your dealers and ask them about it! Then post back!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4x4
|\*\..../*/|
|.\*\../*/.|
|..\*\/*/..|
|../*/\*\..|
|./*/..\*\.|
|/*/....\*\|
-----------

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: GM to use SOLID AXLE on the new HD\'s???

Well, as much as I hate to say this...but I highly doubt its going to happen, or anytime soon anyway/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif The thing is that GM has almost stopped taking orders for 01 HD's(another 2 or 3 weeks or the gas trucks and the 6.6L's here done 2 weeks ago) So in the middle of June they will start taking orders for the 2002 trucks and that for sure isn't enough time to let the public know about it and even for the 03 trucks...I just doubt they would or could keep it a secret. I stongly think that if GM were to make a SFA with a 4-link/Coil setup it would ride just like the IFS esspecially now adays with the new shocks and coils on the market. Thats the main reason GM got rid of the leaf springs in the rear of the SUV's for a 4-link setup.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com

#5 ·

I also think it is highly doutful because GM just went too all the cost too redisign the IFS too be bigger, stronger and I hate too say it but make it "ride as much like a car as possible" So if they were just going too throw the SFA under there why diden't they doo it in the first place for the 2001 models? They whould have spent just as much maybe less if they'd designed it with a SFA in the first place instead of reworking the IFS.
Just my take on it.

A Man a Dog and a Pickup it's a wondurful thing(sometimes)/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G
#6 ·

I must agree that I don't think it is likely to happen ever, much less soon. The only thing in GM's sights is to make the truck ride like a car. SFA just does not make sense for their target market. Also, as was pointed out, they just came out with a redesigned IFS (I was also told that at the recent GM "test drive" event) which doesn't make much sense if they are coming out with an SFA in the next few years.

My take is, never trust a car salesman. Anything that sounds fishy is probably an outright lie or a salesman talking above his head.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14FF locked 4.56
Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

#8 ·

OK, Lets say (for a minute) it definately isn't true, GM keeps head buried in a$$ with IFS. Would an online poll help? Just an idea I was toying with for a while. Basicly we would need to find a website that would sponsor the idea (to get it out to the masses). Then we would have them click a little checkbox under the phrase that best matches them. (1. I'm not buying another GM truck until I see a SFA under there 2. I would like SFA for my work truck. 3. If there was an option for it I might choose it, etc.) Then when we have as many submitions as possible, we bring it to gm's attention. If thousands upon thousands of disgruntled IFS owners that accually use their rig for working or wheeling click any box (because their IFS falls apart), GM is sure to atleast think about it for a minute. If we can get big GM to scratch it's head/ass on the idea maybe we could make it happen.

While the above may never happen, I'm going to check on the SFA thing until GM gives me an answer or they send the IFS mofia (which probably consists of yuppies and soccer moms) to kill me.

|\*\..../*/|
|.\*\../*/.|
|..\*\/*/..|
|../*/\*\..|
|./*/..\*\.|
|/*/....\*\|
-----------

G
#9 ·

Chevy was actually taking suggestions on one of thier websites or through the diesel page or somthing befor the HD's went to market. There was kind of an opinion poll. Still lead to IFS. I think GM figured that most of the HD trucks will be used as tow trucks and work trucks that spend most of their time on road (and they are right for sure) so IFS is actually better suited for the expected line of work. So a stronger IFS was the goal. We'll see if it works.

A solid axle needs to be offered on a standard cab, short bed pickup with 14bolt SF and the 6.0 (or the detuned Duramax that goes in the suburban). That is the truck that needs to be able to off-road.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4

#10 ·

Desert Chevy.....

I compleetly agree that a SWB truck deserves the SFA in order to be great off road, but there were a few things that I thought about first. 1. The HD's are available in std. cab with a long bed and that's good enough for me 2. I thought I might be able to sell the idea that a HD truck be made Heavy Duty as the name implies rather than a caddy that looks like a truck. 3. They could still sell their trucks as the smoothest riding trucks on the market because they would leave the non HD models IFS.

Here is a note I left in their suggestion box. I will continue to do so every day until I gey an acceptable response.

I've got 2 items for you to see.

1. There is a rumor that states that you guys there at chevy are going to offer a solid (or live) front axle suspended by a 4 link/coil setup in the next year or so for the HD models as an option. I would like to know if this is true, because I hope to get one. If this is not true I have to ask, why not? I understand the IFS rides better and most of the time it outlasts it's warranty, but what about after that. I think it is high time a HD truck be made Heavy Duty like the name implies.

2. If you have been thinking about doing it, but didn't know if you really wanted to - I ask would an online poll help? I make a motion that an un-biased website advertise and take a poll on weather or not thousands (maybe millions) of people who use their trucks as they were initially intended to be used would like a solid axle better. Anyone second that?? This would be perfect because the soccer moms and old people who want a "cadilac smooth" ride in a truck can buy a non HD model, while the HD can be put to real work without fear of that cookey IFS faling apart.

Please respond with your thoughts,

Keith Sparks

|\*\..../*/|
|.\*\../*/.|
|..\*\/*/..|
|../*/\*\..|
|./*/..\*\.|
|/*/....\*\|
-----------

G
#11 ·

Several magazines have noted that Dodge is going to IFS on the 1/2-tons and the following year, will be on the larger trucks. I don't know of anyone with a 1-ton GM dually having any problems with durability. The only people I know with them run farms and ranch. They tow heavy trailers and are in rough conditions.

G
#12 ·

man, I will be the first to sign your poll if you get it up. It will cost me like $4000 to convert my truck to SFA. Do you have any idea how damn long it takes a high school student to do that.

however...

I have about 2 freinds that i go wheelin with on a often. One has a ford and the other has a jeep. lets just say the ford is out for at least a month (a nasty encounter with a lake) and I just pulled the jeep out last night. My ifs chevy is parked in the driveway ready to take me out again whenever i feel like it.

catch you on the flip side
BadBowtie

G
#13 ·

I'm with you REBEL_WITH_A_4X4. I would really like to see the solid axle front in the big trucks. No doubt that it is superior, especially with coils and 4-link. The Dodges ride about the same as my IFS, but I have quite a bit more confidence in the Dodge because I have been failed by my 4w on a few occasions and it sucks. If you get any response to your poll/petition, I'll be right there to sign it on to Chevy.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4

G
#14 ·

I just talked to my father-in-law who deliveres parts to the gm dealer ships on the east coast. He had heard fom them that they are going to do this with the live axles as has been said already. He got a brochure from them and is going to try and find it to send to me. If he can't find it he will try and get a new copy. Just letting you guys know
Drizzt97

That which does not kill us, only makes us work on the truck more!

G
#15 ·

As already has been said, the fact that GM just came out with the redesigned HD trucks really makes me doubt that they will offer a SFA anytime in the near future. It's not like GM could decide today to offer the SFA and have a truck on the market next year......it just doesn't work that way. Your looking at a couple of years of design work, and then a couple of years of testing before it could go to market......this doesn't even take into consideration the cost. I know there are guys out there who could take a new IFS truck and have it running on a solid front axle in a couple of weeks, but the manufacturers have to take into consideration the manufacturing process and cost, as well as the safety, reliability,....and the liability that goes into offering this modification.
Granted, I like SFA's in trucks. But the fact is that the vast majority of the market either prefers the IFS or doesn't care that it's not a SFA. Think about it for awhile, if there were that many people out there who refused to buy a truck with IFS, then wouldn't Dodge be the top selling truck on the market?????

6.2Blazer

G
#16 ·

Look for a solid axle when the replacement for the 3500HD ("C/K", not "Silverado") hits the market. This is the old "F450 fighter" that came only in 2wd & was labeled 3500HD in C/K trim (this truck was referred to as a "3600" in the early press about the "HD" trucks). This truck may or may not be available in 4wd, may or may not have a bed as an option, and most likely will come as a dual-rear-wheel only. This is the SFA truck your salesman mentioned. Unfortunately, that does not apply to a "2500HD" type truck, nor to a reg-cab shortbed.

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

#17 ·

Well here is the response I got, Kinda vague isn't it?
Drizzt97.... let us know what the brochure says.
TEX..... If what you say is true, that sucks for offroaders (but good for farmers) - and thanks for the info.

GM's response......
Dear Mr. Sparks,

Thank you for your recent E-mail. We certainly appreciate your
enthusiasm. If you would like to
advise Chevrolet of further information on your mechanical suggestion,
please forward it to the
following address:

New Devices Section
General Motors Corporation
General Motors Technical Center
Warren, Michigan 48090

If you have further questions or comments, please feel free to E-mail
us.

Sincerely,

Laurel Whiteside
Customer Relationship Manager
GM Internet Response Center

Thanks for all of the replys and if needed poll support.

|\*\..../*/|
|.\*\../*/.|
|..\*\/*/..|
|../*/\*\..|
|./*/..\*\.|
|/*/....\*\|
-----------

G
#18 ·

Do you have the email of the customer relations manager. Maybe all of us who are interested in a SFA in new 2500HD trucks we can suggest this.
Also, who can tell me what is best selling full size 4X4 truck out there? Chevy/GMC, Ford or Dodge?
thank you.
davidmZ71

G
#19 ·

So far this year, GM (Chevy and GMC combined) are outselling Ford by a respectable margin. Dodge is far away third.

'70 CST Blazer, 350, SM465, NP205.
'87 Suburban 4X4, 350, 700R4
'01 GMC 2500HD, Duramax/Allison

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.