Chevy Z-72...? a little O/T - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Chevy Z-72...? a little O/T

Are any of you guys over 50? My old man must be going senile or something. He tried to argue with me about how his 96 Cheyanne 4X4 is better than my Z-71. well lets start with his being completely stock...with a 4.3. Mine is close to stock, but not quite and I've got the Vortec350. That crazy old man that brought me into this world things by adding dual flowmasters and modifying the stickers top say Plowmaster, he'll have a better truck than mine. He a college professor and has a student that opened up his own mobile audio and graphics shop. Last weekend when i went home, i saw two stickers one the kitchen table (pops must know Andreas...truck stuff in the table). The stickers said "Z-72 way off-road" looks just like the stock decals.
To get to the point, (asidefrom my old man being senile) I ned some fuel for this debate that might turn into a small feud. Let me know why my truck is better than his.
I've got TBI 350 Vortec, 3" Dual Flowmasters, 285s, tow package, 14bolt SF, NP241, Getrag 5-speed, JVC CD deck, 4 12" JL subs, some extra lighting, and a midland DB...thats about all i can think of. Thanks for the help,
---Peacock

If it hasn't broken, you haven't had it in the dirt yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Chevy Z-72...? a little O/T

hook em up and have a pull off. that will settle it. hammer down!!!

92 blazer sport, 3" rough country/custom lift, 4.10 gears, 285/75 yok. geolander mts on stockers, warn x8000i on warn brush guard, flowmaster, k&n, 180,000 miles on original motor and tranny..ha ha.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, how is you have a TBI vortec? I thought all vortecs were CSFI?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 02:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

From what I remember, the '96 was a form of TBI. In fact, fuel delivery was GM's achilles heel at the time. When the new small blocks were introduced a few years ago, carbs and TBI were phased out. All of the trucks now come with SFI, no matter what size the engine is.

Either way, the '96 is (as I recall) a TBI engine.

And there's no replacement for displacement. Your 350 will eat his 4.3 for breakfast. Just make sure to not get too much stuck in your grille! :-) You've both got decent trucks, but he's making his out to be a poser. Don't try to argue it. You know better...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 04:15 PM
Veteran

ALL Vortecs are SFI!!!!! the change over was in 96. Up untill then our 350 truck engines were TBI. It is true that there is no replacement for distplacement but don't reley on that alone!!! Gearing has alot more to do with out things end up when pulling is a concern. I have been in the Truck Pulling scene for a couple years now and I have seen some trucks with 454's kick other guys a$$es that are running 500+ cubic inches. The main reason they are winning is because of gear ratio and tire size.

Now as for a tug-o-war u4ia4, even though you have the Vortec it would only be far to run it in 2wd against your dads truck.....Even with his 4.3L I strongly believe he would win for the simple reason that you have to worry about changing gears where he could just do a bit of a brake torque when starting and onec the Rpm is up just stomp on it and you would be cought going backwards!!! (I have seen it before)

Good luck though...Ryan

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice RyanB, I know I"ve got to keep it from moving backwards. I think i can slip the cluth enough to get him moving my way then its all over.
Another question though. You guys have me wondering...do i have a TBI or SFI? there seems to be a little bit of discrepency about that one. I just assumed i still had the carry over TBI. I wouldn;t be a bit surprised if i was wrong on it though. thanks for the help
---Peacock

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 05:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'mm 99% sure that your turck has the 5700 Vortec (350/5.7L)which is CSFI.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 06:05 PM
Veteran

I am 100% sure it is NOT TBI. Your engine should look like this

MAN, I miss that truck!!!!!

Ryan

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

thats exactly what I've got..plus a few extra wires i added. looks like I"ve got CSFI. Thanks a lot fellas. you probably just saved me much ridicule and $$$ too
---peacock

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:02 PM

Ask him to race you but give him the advantage and make sure he puts the Z72 stickers on it before so he gets the extra HP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

90K5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode