Anybody have bushwacker cut outs on an 88+ truck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 04:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anybody have bushwacker cut outs on an 88+ truck

Im gonna need a little more room to clear the 33's on my 94 k1500 with a 2.5 skyjacker. Im debating on either cut outs or a 2 inch body, or hell maybe both. If anybody has them on newer trucks, how much more room did they give you. Some pics would be really great too, thanks everybody.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anybody have bushwacker cut outs on an 88+ truck

How much additional clearance do you need. I would think a 2-3" lift would just about clear 33's. If not, you could probably just go to a body shop and have a good looking trim put on your lower fenders. Surely cheaper than Bushwacker flares.

I have never seen the flares in person, just on the big Chevy in their ads. I was looking into them a bit ago, but kind of just decided that when I want some clearance, I would have the fenders trimmed professionally to give a clean look without the bulge of the flares.

I would go with the cut fenders before the body lift since you should only need a little additionaly clearance. Better to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anybody have bushwacker cut outs on an 88 truck

How much are they rubbing? Im running the 2.5" and 33's, they only rub when I brake and turn at the same time, the rub when I get air too, but not much, or I cant tell because its too loud when I hit the ground. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Off topic, anyone know of any sort of adapter you can buy at a computer store so you can hook up your video camera to the computer and upload stuff? Going take my dads video camera off-road this weekend hopefully.

89 K1500 Skyjacker 2.5" 33" SSR's
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]Friends dont let friends drive Fords[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 10:37 PM

I"mnot sure exactly howmuch clearance you'll get, but it will be considerable. take that in conjuntion wuth your lift and you should be set. I would go with a the flares before the lift. Lift raises center of gravity, looks tacky, and i"ve heard rumors of bed damage under heavy load.
I'm partial to the fender flares though so take all of this with a grain of salt. I nearly purchased a Z-R2 instead of the Z-71/ I really like the aggressive look the flares give. it won;t be long before i put them on my truck.
---Peacock

If it hasn't broken, you haven't had it in the dirt yet.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 03:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

u4ia4, your joking right? Sure it raises the center of gravity, but you can still drive it, as long as you arent an idiot and mistake it for a sports car (these are the people that Dateline and 20/20 make stories out of, saying its the vehicles rather than driver error) you just have to know the limitations of your vehicle. Looks tacky? WHAT? You have to be pulling everyone's leg because otherwise you just said that nearly everyone's truck on this board looks tacky. How else are you supposed to clear big tires for mud, rocks and Honda Civics or get wheel travel to get take them jumps? Damages the bed, you are thinking of a body lift, a suspension lift wont put space in between the bottom of the bed and frame, so you can still take just as heavy loads as before, and perhaps a bit more if you got new leaf packs or add-a-leaves. A body lift will put space in between the bottom of the bed and frame, I have heard that it will supposedly damage the bed, a few guys on this board have body lifts and still load their trucks down to max capacity and dont damage the bed. You were going to buy a truck based on looks over functionality? Sounds like your on the wrong BBS.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]Friends dont let friends drive Fords[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 04:15 PM

WOW, thats quite a bashing i just got there. D*mn near everything i said got twisted around one me.
To start with, yes i was refering to a body lift. i assumed if he ws considering the bushwackers then he didn;t want to go with any/more suspension lift. and yeah, i know that the COG will not be increased that much, but it is something to be considered. I know nobody in here has ever done anything stupid, but it'd be a shame if someone did becasue they didn;t realize, or failed to think of something like this.
As far as tacky, there is a HUGE difference between the trucks we talk about in here and the ones I"m refering to. The guys in here typically have this in conjunction with suspension lifts and solid axles...this is good. I was talking about the guys i see driving around in thier IFS trucks with 6" homemade body lifts and stock tires. It looks ****ty as I'm sre you all can imagine. So, big difference there.
And yes, i was considereing buying the S-10 ZR2. Not solely for the fender flares though. i drive about 1,000 miles a week so the milage they claimed in the mini-truck was appealing. after doing research and considering the size of loads i haul, i decided to go with the full sized. I need the power for hauling. I still like the way the ZR2s look though, and i plan on adding the flares to my truck. anything else you'd like me to clarify let me know
---Peacock

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, I apologize if I came off that way, but in order to prevent things like this happening in the future, in stead of explaining yourself in a follow-up post, explain it in the first! This way no one gets flamed, and everyone understands. No hard feelings. Sorry again.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

here's a pic of my truck with cut outs
I can take more if you want me to.

Chad

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 05:45 PM

Great pic Chad. Will you take one directly from the front? I'd like to see how wide it looks with those on there. Thanks
---Peacock

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 05:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for all the info yall. chad thats a pretty nice damn truck you got there. could you give me a guess on how many inches you ended up hackin off in front of and behind the tire at the bottom of the fender. and some more pics would be great if its not any trouble. thanks once again everybody.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode