Plug wires? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 11:52 PM
Drew K1500

Plug wires?

My father has a 1994 GMC Jimmy with a 4.3 vortec. The problm is that when its cold it idles very poorly. It seems to be a consistent misfire in my opinion. When gas is given it runs fine but when gas is let off it will do it again. THere is also some unburnt fuel that is getting pumep out. He has has everything on it changed electronic contorl wise and I dont want him spending more money. I hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 12:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Plug wires?

If there is doubt, replace the plugs. Shaggy and Scoobydoo will tell you the same.

Look into the oxygen sensor and the coil. These could cause the problems you described.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 09:42 AM

Damn am I getting THAT predictable![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
YUP! Always start with the simple stuff![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor. After that "Sensors" 02, TPS,...
If none of that works go back in the time machine, to the last time it was running good, and try to remember what was changed since then.

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 12:44 PM

Guess I don't need to post anymore, since I must be predictable too![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Ditto what Scooby said, although a friend of mine had a similar problem and it turned out to be a couple bad injectors.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 08:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Drew-

Excess fuel going out the back on the late model trucks is almost always 02 sensor. If it was doing it's job, it would be leaning/riching the motor instantly. I would do cap/rotor/wires/plugs just as maintenance. As far as wires, I've gone through almost all the brands in Summit. The best I have found are made by champion, specially made for trucks, with ceramic boots, to resist burning from headers. Very nice, but my set put me back about $100.

Rhino

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 08:51 PM

I've got MSD Heli-Cores on mine and they are pretty good. They were about $60. The 8.5 Super conductors are better, but the store ordered the wrong ones and I didn't want to wait.

90K5
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2000, 09:50 PM

i have the MSD Super conductor wires and i'm pretty happy with them. i bought them from jegs for about $68.

Shorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode