Non-Thermal 4x4 Actuator Failure Survey - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 05:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Non-Thermal 4x4 Actuator Failure Survey

Howdy. I was wondering how many of you with the newer Non-Thermal Actuator have had it fail, and what went wrong with it?

I just replaced the Non-Thermal Actuator (the one that is an upgrade from GM) in my 1990 Silverado. It was intermittently working and I'm trying to determine why. It has 2 plastic tabs that slide in opposite grooves which apparently keep the piston thing from sliding all the way out. I think that one of the tabs was broken and causing it to bind, therefore sometimes the 4x4 would engage, sometimes not.

-Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 07:26 PM
Drew K1500

Re: Non-Thermal 4x4 Actuator Failure Survey

Tell me more about this no thermal actuator? I hate my Thermal one. When its warm outside it takes awhile to disengage, cold outside? Forever to engage. Sorry I cant help you with your question but I hope you can help me with mine.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 03:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The upgrade that GM came out with uses a servo-motor instead of the thermal deal. The engagement of the axle is nearly instantaneous. It's part #26060073 and cost $72.00 before tax. It's very easy to change, but you have to modify the wiring a little bit. I don't know the particulars of the wiring, but I'm sure someone else on this forum knows what to do. GM should be embarrassed about that thermal thing and give the new one out for free...

-Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 08:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There's also the 4xPosi-Lok system that uses a cable.

http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/4x4posi-lok

I'm not sure on the price.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 01:31 AM
Mud in my Veins

What Shawn said is the best option! You can get it out of JCWhitney. Cheap (well, at least as much as the other stuff), easy to install, and dirt stupid reliable. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Flowmaster 40 DF 3", 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img], 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode