Gear Ratio for 35's? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Gear Ratio for 35\'s?

Okay, I have been seriously looking into the solid axle swap, and I figured out that I should just save myself the time and the effort and go with the big lift and 35's instead of the smaller lift and 33's. It'll only cost me another couple hundred to go big. So I think a set of 35" Yokohama M/T's are in my future. Now, what gearing should I run? My truck has a 350 TBI, 4L60 (TH700, not certain if it is an electronic 4L60E though), and a few mods done to the engine. Nothing special. I have a 14 bolt SF with 4.10's in it somewhere in the USA (IF AIRBORNE EXPRESS WILL EVER FIND THE D*&N THING![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]), that is going in the rear. I figure either 4.10's or 4.56's because that's what everyone else runs, and the only 2 in the range that the Ford reverse cut D44 and the 14SF have in common. My truck spends most of it's time on road, so I want it to be as close to stock driveability as possible. Especially mpg's, it's not spectacular as it is right now. I like how it handles offroad anyways, so I'm not to worried about it, and I don't do anything other than trail riding and the occasional blast through a small mudpit. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img], 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 03:49 PM

Re: AJMBLAZER

4.56's would be better, but if you already have an axle with 4.10's that will be fine!
The benifit of 4.56's would not be worth the expense of the gear swap!

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 05:06 PM
Veteran

Yeah, I agree with Mr.Cartoon Dog[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Since you´ve got OD in your tranny you cold gear it lower than a th350 guy and still get good cruisin rpms. I think good highway rpms is important. If you wanna wheel around in the woods you would shift the T-case into 4WD Lo anyways, right? (where the difference is even smaller ´cause the engine & tranny can hack it easily, no matter the gearing)

Andreas

If a Blazer runs smooth, it isn´t really a Blazer[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Andrew-

I would go to 4.56 unless you plan on mods to the motor. If 4.10's will be fine through 3rd, but once you're doing 70, and the OD kicks in, you're going to be a slug up hills. I was always told that for the newer trucks w/ 35's...4.56 was the way to go. BTW...your tranny is 4L60E. They went to those in 92. Try Pro Gear for the ring and pinion, they are the best driveline shop in San Diego. They are in Kearny Mesa off of Convoy.

Rhino

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 06:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just went from a 3:42.1 to a 4.56:1 on my 94. Big difference. OD is absolutely mandatory now for freeway driving. I'm running a 33"-14.5"-15" which is about 1/4" - 1/2" shorter than a 35"-12.5"-15" BFG AT, that's with both tires mounted on a 15x10 rim . . . I've measured 'em. I'm hoping that when I go back up to a 35" tire that my RPMs will come down a little more but it's still very driveable now. I believe you'd be happy with a 4.10:1 or a 4.56:1. Installing a new VSSB made a world of difference as well.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 08:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When i get my 36's with my K20 should i get 4.10's or 4.56's? It has the Sm465 Tranny and Np208.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]<font color=blue>"Your driveway doesn't count as Off-Road"</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 08:09 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>The SM465 doesn't have an overdrive. That being said, with 36's 4.10's if you plan to roar down the highway a lot, or 4.56's otherwise.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2000, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone know if I'll be able to use OD in my 1990 sub with stock 350 tbi and 3.73 gears? I want 33" tires, It drives great right now with 31's but I want more tire. I dow drive up mtns at altitude. thanks.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 09:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have 3.73 gears, 33" BFG ATs and an automatic and I don't use OD unless I am going to be doing 70 mph. Other than that, I keep it in 3rd. My truck is also a 97 so it has the 350 vortech engine. About 45 more horse power than you '90 350 TBI.

Harmsie
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 09:28 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>I've got a '90 GMC with 350 TBI & 3.73's. I've run both 265/75's (32") and 255/85's (33") on this truck & I also use O/D only on the highway at better than 65 MPH - and then only if no trailer is involved.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode