LADDER BARS? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 03:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

LADDER BARS?

Need info on ladder bars, whats good, whats bad. I seem to be having a little axle wrap problem. Are ladder bars worth having or are they a waste. Thanks for any help.

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 03:41 PM

Re: LADDER BARS?

It sounds to me like you are trying to correct a symptom, and not address the problem???
Do you have rear Blocks?
What is your gear ratio and tire size?

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes I have stock springs in back with 2" blocks, 2.73 gears and 35" tires. Thought I had 3.08 gears but pulled the cover this evening and found 2.73's. I did'nt know GM put out gears lower than 3.08's. How bad could it get? I'm thinking axle wrap might not be the problem, not with the gears I have.

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 07:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You must have a Blazer. 2:73 were found in them alote. If axle wrap is your problem. lader bars will work. But if your any good at fab work Heres an idea. go to your tractor supply store and find some parnard bars around 30 in worked on my 3/4 ton. They cost around 30.00 each for the 1 1/4 bars. I have 58 in springs. make a braket that looks like an L out of 3/8 or 7/16 flat steal. either scrib the axle cruve to the bracket or make cardboad templat. I used a wheel stud to to concet the panared bar a large shoulder bolt will work. Nowfind out were you can mount front bracket. make a bracket with a bolt to conect the parnared bar to. i ran a 2x2x3/8 tub from fram rail to fram rail and made brackets just like ones for axle. However; i have since thought about mounting it directy to the frame. now conect the two brackets to the P-Bar and see where the mounting spots are. tack them in place. now lift the truck up by the body. i used my hitch. so the axle will drop drown. make sure the P-Bar wont hold you up. Make sure it wont bind at all. Also rember to have so lee way on axle droop. lower truck back down and cheack the other way. I have hold downs on the garge floor and a come-along. I gusse you could have ten buddys sit inn the back to cheack and make sure nothing is binding. then finsh welding it up. adjust the P-Bars out and tighten them jamd nuts up. also rember to use self locking nuts on the bolts that hold the P-Bars on. This will keep the rearend stright. GOOD LUCK.

If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 09:08 PM

Replacing your blocks with springs will help too.

90K5
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 10:27 AM

That's kinda what I thought, (but worse! 2.73's yuck![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img])
My suggestion is 4.56's or 4.11's front and rear.
If that doesn't solve it, then replace those blocks with new springs or a shackle flip.
And then if you still have axle wrap, (which I doubt you will) then we will talk about ladder bars[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Wait till you get those gears! going from 2.73's to 4.56's will feel like you put a supercharger on your truck [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
I would go with 4.56 if you have an Overdrive, and 4.11's if you don't.

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 04:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Post deleted by ARD

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 05:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would love nothing more than to put 4.56's in there to get the low end tourqe I built the motor for but as it is right now I'm turning 2500rpm's at 65mph with 35" tire. All that with 2.73 gears. I talked to National Drivetrain and they said theres no way I could have those gears in there with the info I gave them. But I pulled the cover off the rear axle last night and stamped on the ring and pinion was 41-15 that comes up to 2.73s on my calculator. I'm totally lost. Please help!!!

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2000, 07:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

count the teeth to make sure. i have axles that are stamped wrong. had 3.08 on a 4.10

If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode