Tach suggestions??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tach suggestions???

Does anyone know of a tach that will fit in the open (or clock) pod in the left side of the '86 dashboards? I am looking to put a tach in the truck (too see how high the new motor spins) and I want to find one that will not have to be bolted to the column or dash.

I have the large gas gauge and do not want to get rid of it to put the tach in the center.

Thanks,
Shaneb

The Dallas Morning News Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4WD Chevy Suburban
1989 Honda CB-1 400

[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 05:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tach suggestions???

Two options..........one is to go with the factory gauge cluster (only relocates the gas gauge to that "hole" you are talking about) and puts the factory tach where the large gas gauge is now. I did this, but you have to get the whole gauge cluster and pod to enact the wiring changes, no big deal as far as the wiring changes go, but gotta have the whole deal. Second option was what I DID have in my 79 before I went with the factory set up. Had a mini-tach in that hole. The guy that had the truck before me took out the gauge cluster and pod, cut through the pod (the light blue gauge holder) and "jury rigged" the mini tach to fit. Worked fine, looked trick but was just too small and out of the way IMHO for using properly (needing to check the RPM's in a split second), so I aced it. Sorry I didn't keep it or take pictures or I could e-mail them. Attached is a picture of the factory setup with a re-covered bezel, etc.

Hope this helps ya. One thing about the factory clusters.........they are getting harder and harder to get a hold of........I paid $40 but that was from a guy who didn't want to hold me up for the rare part, he just needed some cash.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]<font color=blue>[b]'79 K5 with 406 TPI
http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-238524-Blazer-re-coveredbezelandindashtach.jpg (57.7 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 07:45 PM

You can fit 2 5/8 guages in those holes, I put one in each one of them. Here's a picture of what I did, the guages in the center are 5" monsters, and like I said before, the ones to the left are 2 5/8s. The bezel has a 3/16 aluminum skin on the outside, the plastic just wouldn't be strong wnough on it's own since all the reinforcing ridges are cut out of it when you enlarge the holes for the guages. Auto-Meter makes a 2 5/8 tach, I believe.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you know what brand or type of tach he had in there.

Thanks,
Shaneb

The Dallas Morning News Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4WD Chevy Suburban
1989 Honda CB-1 400

[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How much of the wiring harness do you have take?
A girl at school just got her fathers 70 something dooly to drive. It is a Cheyenne 30 and has a factory tach. I was thinking of trading with her. Wat do i need to take off of hers for the tach/and all to work? Do i hack off the same amount of mine as i do hers and wire it all back in and vice versa? I am very good with electronics, and wanna put this setup in my Jimmy. Thanks

[b]<font color=blue>Bad Bowtie
1973 Chevy Scottsdale/350/SM465/NP205/44/14 bolt/33's
1974 GMC Jimmy/350/TH350/NP203/44/12 bolt/31's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2000, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't really need any of the wiring "harness". Just need the gauge cluster and the cluster holder. You then plug in the same plug that is already in your existing truck into the new cluster holder and it has the circuit board that sends the signal (such as for the gas gauge, which is relocated) to the proper location. You will also need the tach plug/harness off the K-30 to wire in the tach, OR you can just run your own wires, which is what I did. Nothing to it, really. Sounds like you are good at this stuff, so shouldn't be a big deal. And as far as swapping your gauge cluster and holder in to your K-30, same deal. Just make sure you keep the gauge clusters and holders together, since they have a "printed circuit" board (in quotes, you will see what I mean, not really PC boards, more like thin plastic with copper wires glued to it) that have to stay together.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]<font color=blue>[b]'79 K5 with 406 TPI
http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2000, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't remember what brand it was, but its the "off brand" that you see at Schucks/Kragen/Checker all the time. About 2 1/4" in diameter. Good luck............

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2000, 12:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's where I have mine for now. Doesn't block the other gauges and it's easy to see what your engine is doing.

It doesn't block the view of the road as much as you would think.

Shaggy-
I love yours. Someday, I'd love to do a similar setup but have the guages behind the bezel. Are those LED's? If so what resister did you use?

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2000, 12:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh yeah, forgot to ask Shaggy how many times he's had it up to 160? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Do they make a smaller MPH guage?

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode