wire feed welding vs. truck computer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

wire feed welding vs. truck computer

Has anyone used a mig or wire feed welder on a computer controlled car? I just picked myself up a Lincoln 155 Weld-Pak welder. I want to use it to do my suspension but in the instructions it says not to use it on anything with electronics and in the picture it shows a car with a circle around it with a big lightning bolt [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. I don't take this as a good sign but I have seen many people using them. Do I just disconnect the ground cable?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 05:56 AM
Addict

Re: wire feed welding vs. truck computer

Can't say for sure as I'm no expert. However my brother in-law helped me remove my rear drop down brace on my 93 GEO Tracker so I could install a trailer hitch. Two of the bolts holding the bar where messed up, and the Tracker has a completely box and sealed frame. We had to cut off the rear caps, and heat the nuts to get the bolts out. One of the nuts was busted off so we wire welded (flux wire) the nut back on, plus welded both end caps back on. We never disconnected the battery and had no problems. I also had to have a body shop replace the front cross tube member, it also was a weld job. Don't know if they disconnected the battery or not. If you have a body shop near you, why don't you check with them?

Good luck..
Bill

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 07:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've done a lot of welding on trucks in the past with a MIG welder, (un)fortunately none of the trucks have been computerized.

Always disconnect the battery, both cables to be sure. Depending on the year of your truck, the computer might be under the hood mounted on one of the inner fenders (otherwise it's mounted behind the glove box in the dash). If it is in the engine compartment, it's easy to disconnect it -- just pull the little retainer clips off, squeeze the connectors and pull them out of the computer (be careful not to mix up the plugs as 2 are the same!). If the computer isn't connected I would think you are safe to do any kind of welding you need.

<font color=red>TOO MUCH POWER</font color=red> isn't enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 10:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ive seen alot of muffler shops weld with wire feed. I havnt seen them disconnect anything. The battery is grounded to the engine and the exhaust is attached to that.

A trailer dealership would know too. Buddy with a 99ford dually had a gooseneck ball installed. Burned some paint in the bed no other problems except being a ford

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 06:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey judgement call on your part. Your really not supposed to weld with the puter hooked up. The welder might cause an arc across the wires or concters. However; I have worked on alote of Big trucks and we never unhooked anything. But we did make sure the area we where grounding too and welding was very clean. i mean nice and shineing. use a sanding pad on a 4 in grinder. Also use vise grips to grasp the part to be welded then hook the ground to the vise grip. The vise grip should be good and tight. This makes a better ground contact than just the clamp can. Make sure to set ground as close to the place to be welded as possable. In theroy the welder will ground to the closet ground. witch by placeing your ground cable like I said would be the welder and not the puter. If it was my truck i would disconnect the Batt and computer. Just better safe than out of a money. that could be spent on new parts. good luck.

If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode