DO WHAT? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

DO WHAT?

O.K., I just lifted the back of my 1/2 ton on jackstands to find out for sure what my gear ratio is. I always figured I had 3.08's until I hooked up my tach the other day. Doing 65mph I was looking at 2400rpm's so I figured maybe 3.73's? Anyway,I marked the drive shaft and marked the tire, turned the tire 1 full turn and the shaft only turned about 1 and a 3rd. times. Now call me a retard if you will but aint that about the same ratio as my little girls tricycle? And, should the other wheel turn in the opposite direction when I'm doing this? Yes, the truck was in neutral. (35"tires)

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 04:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Post deleted by ARD

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 04:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: DO WHAT?

I got a friend to turn the other tire and I came up with the drive shaft turning just a hair more than 2.75 turns. Now what?

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 04:32 PM

The best most reliable way to find out the ratio would be to pull the differential cover (might be a good idea anyway, if for nothing other than the sake of a gear lube change and inspection of the parts in there if it hasn't been done in a while) and change the fluid at the same time... Ratio is stamped into the ring gear or you could count up the ring gear teeth and the pinion teeth, ring gear tooth count gets divided by pinion tooth count. Of course this way is messier than the other way, but this way you do get a definite answer as to what the ratio is... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 04:54 PM
RolngThun

Now you know you don't have any kind of posi. If it was, both wheels would turn in the same direction. And like already stated, you will have to turn both wheels in the same direction at the same rate to get close on the gear ratio. Pull the cover, inspect things, know your ratio for sure, change the oil. Cheap, don't take long at all.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Or it could be a simple as youve got a 2.73:1 ratio, wich sucks with 35" tires. Ive run 35" tires with a 2.73 ratio and it ate my th350 pretty quick. Ive also run 44" Gumbo mudders with 3.07 ratio[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. I left the t-case in "low" all the time and finally sold the tires. I will now go with either 4.10 or 4.56 to go with 38.5" tires.
Highway was smooth with the 2.73 & 35" combo though, once you got it up to 50-60 mph you could stay there forever [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].

Andreas

If a Blazer runs smooth, it isnt really a Blazer[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So maybe I have'nt felt the full effect of my new 454? From what little I know, if I had lets say 4.56's, I could slap my head on the rear glass? What would 3.73's do for it? I have a chance tomorrow to buy a dana60 and14bolt, both have 3.73's. Good plan?, bad idea? What do any of you think?

MIKE.S 84GMC,454
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 08:01 PM

I may be wrong, but don't all gov locks act like an open diff when you jack it up and turn a wheel?

90K5
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 10:16 PM

Hey Mike, those 1 ton axles are a bad idea, you better just tell the seller to contact me, I'll take them off of his hands[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 10:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

90K5, gov lock will do this they won't kick in until one wheel turns, spins then both are locked until you switch directions. Then it hapens again.

88 1500 4X4 6 in. SUPERLIFT, 35X12.50BFG AT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode