92 Suburban Suspension Lift? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

92 Suburban Suspension Lift?

I just bought a 92 1/2 ton Suburban. It has aftermarket 15" Centerline wheels, and BFG 32x11.5" tires. I love the way it rides and drives. But my wife's 95 3/4 ton Sub sits higher. She has her's, and I have mine. So, I can do what I want with mine . Anyway, I want to give mine a lift. I was thinking of a 4-6" lift, keeping the same tires and wheels for now. I'm in St. Louis, and a local shop recommends the Trailmaster 4" or 6" lift kit installed for $1900 to $2100 respectively. WOW! These things aren't cheap! I see that 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers has these kits for $1170 to $1360. I've read on this BBS that the TrailMaster kit has problems....front end alignment being the biggest problem. I'd say I'm leaning toward 4" of lift. I would like to keep my present tire size because my mileage and engine performance (acceleration) are good. I definitely don't want to adversely affect the ride of this truck. I often take weekend trips that average 300 to 400 miles at 75+ mph, and it drives great. But, I want it higher. Good things have been said about the Superlift kits...comparable at $1250. But don't you crank the torsion bars on these? Like I said, I want to keep a smooth ride. What about the Procomp kits? I read the review on it, and the small mods required to correct this kit's shortcomings don't seem bad. I'm a mechanic, and can install this myself(if my wife and kids give me the time). The only offroading I would be doing would be "walking" this vehicle through the woods to a remote hunting or camping site.....no hard mudding. I'd sure appreciate any advice you all might be able to give me. Which kit? What to watch out for? How much time it might involve. Anything.
Thanks in advance.
SoccerDad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 92 Suburban Suspension Lift?

In my opinion 32's would look a little small on a burb that is lifted 4 or more inches. Have you thought about a 2 or 3 inch body lift? That may be the way to go. Its a lot cheaper too.
Just my opinion.

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 12:09 AM
Mud in my Veins

Well, the 32's would look REALLY dinky on a 4" lift, and positively small on a 6" lift, especially on a Suburban. If you want to fit 32's, and lift it, get the 2-3" Superlift kit. Costs like 500 bones, and just a shorter version of the taller kits. I believe Skyjacker makes a similar kit, but I like Superlift better. Rancho and Rough Country both make kits of the size too, notice I have the Rancho one, but DON'T GET THEM! They are junk. I'm getting rid of mine for a solid axle conversion. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Gibson 3" cat back, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 10:31 AM

1ST: Do not get the trailmaster lift! (POS) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
2ND: 4"-6" with 32"s will look ridiculous!
If you really want 4" of suspension lift, then hands down "RANCHO" is the best, VERY STRONG! (IMHO)
If you want 6" of suspension lift then "SUPERLIFT" ! Excellent lift, and no you do not crank the torsion's for 6", (for 7" you have to turn them up!)
A 2"-3" suspension lift would look real good with your 32" (and it would be MUCH cheaper[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) if later you decide you want it taller, you could just add a 2" bodylift!

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2000, 10:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies....very helpful. This internet age is really a trip. In the old days, you had to take a vendors advice, or hope you had knowledgeable buddies, or had the cash to experiment on your own. This is great being able to get online and have access to all this info.
Well, the Trailmaster kit is definitely out. I guess it's between the Rancho "small" lift and the Superlift. Maybe tires and wheels are in my future, too. I had a couple of tall rides back in the 80's, with 35" tires, and they rode ok when everything was right. But nothing as smooth as these new GMs with this IFS. I'll have to think about this. Hopefully, I won't think about how many fine pistols I could buy for the same money as a liftkit, wheels, and tires! Thanks.......
Charlie

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2000, 12:35 PM
Mud in my Veins

If you are going to go with the 2-3" lift, do not get the Rancho one. Rancho makes VERY GOOD stuff, except for this kit it seems. The quality of the compontents is very nice, but it makes the steering components sit at all kinds of od angles, and my steering is munched after one year with the lift. UGH! If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the Superlift kit without a doubt! Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, Flowmaster 40 DF 3", 4L60, K&N, Rancho 3" lift[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img], 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2000, 01:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AJMBlazer, Thanks for the heads up. The last thing I want to do is grind up my steering due to a bad kit. I'll stay away from the Rancho.
Charlie: aka SoccerDad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode