'94 locking silenoid - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 10:40 AM
joeybcdt

\'94 locking silenoid

I've had a '94 Z 71 since it was about six months old. It has a 350, auto. Bone stock. It seems that almost every-other time I need 4wd, it's not there. The culprit is an $80.00 silenoid in the rear axle housing. I've had to replace it at least 5 times. Is there anything I can do to make the 4wd reliable?

Thanks,
Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'94 locking silenoid

Sorry to tell you thats a common thing for that truck, put a good locker in it or sell it or live with it, it was probably not desigen by GM just something the contracted out and put in their trucks, Its like the HUmmer do you really think that the military would want the 6.5 diesel in their humvees no they would probably want the most bad ass motor our taxs dollars can buy but under contract a 6.5 rests in that truck

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 01:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is something you can do about it! Check it out:

http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/4x4posi-lok/

I'd strongly suggest this kit since a co-worker of mine just installed and has had zero problems since. If you need more info, contact Glen Harding at the # in the review.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 01:44 PM
joeybcdt

Thanks Shawn. I'll contact Glenn tommorrow.

I read all the links. I don't think that this kit replaces the selinoid in the rear diff. It only mentions installation in the front diff. But, I'm going to follow through anyway.

Joey

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 01:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Duh! I didn't see the "rear" part. I was unaware GM made a rear locking solonoid. Does this go inside the axle housing where the diff is? This is a 10 bolt rear axle right? I don't see how this solonoid that goes in the rear axle will stop your front axle from engaging. The front solonoids are a common problem.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 02:05 PM
joeybcdt

Shawn:

It looks to me to be a 10 bolt corporate. The locking selinoid (or, whatever the hell it is) for the front diff is in the rear diff housing. If it's not the locking selinoid, what the hell is this thing?

Joey

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 08:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Weird! I've never seen that. Maybe someone else knows about this. I just don't see how something in the rear axle would stop the 4x4 to engage. Can you actually see wires going to the rear axle besides the ABS wires? Do you have a GM part #?

Shawn
87 K5
few mods
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 10:33 PM
joeybcdt

Monday, I'm going to get a part number for you.

Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode