maintenance intervals - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

maintenance intervals

I've got a few questions. My 97 Z71 has a little over 40K on the odo. The book has some crazy change intervals (100K) for things like spark plugs, ATF, coolant etc. I grew up thinking more often was better (especially on lubes). What are your thoughts on this. Also, how frequently should one change items like plug wires, O2 sensors, ECT. One final thought, everyone seems supportive of mobil gear lube (synthetic). Do you use the same in the rear as the front? What about mobile 1 synthetic oil. Is it worth the $$$. Are change intervals extended at all? Currently I change oil about every 2000-2500 mixed city and Hwy (more often is better mentality). Also, are the ACDelco filters from Walmart better than or comperable to say Fram, Puraltor, or Wix? What is the best oil filter?

Lots of questions here but the days of dinosaur based goop seem to be waning and I have to learn all over again with the new stuff.

As always, your comments are appreciated

FC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 11:46 PM

Re: maintenance intervals

Spark plugs should probably be changes every 30K IMHO
ATF 10-12K
Coolant 24K/2yrs
Others as needed usually around 60K+
All the filters you mentioned are good, but I'd stay away from FRAM. they are cardboard pieces of sh!t. I use either AC Delco, BOSCH and one time a Mobil 1. If you change your oil that often (I do too) i dont think its really necessary to use synthetic. The gear lube should be the same in the front and rear. You may have to add an LSD additive.

90K5
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 01:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've heard K&N makes the best oil filters but I usually run AC Delco Gold filters on my truck. I believe 02 Sensors are supposed to be replaced @ 60,000 miles.

Kris '95 K1500

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 06:19 PM
Matt S.

Your questions are good ones, and I ask the same about my '97 GM vehicles (K1500 and Grand Am). I've got 42k on my Z71 and 52k on the wife's Grand Amand and I change the oil religiously every 3k miles with Havoline oil and AC-Delco filters.

GM claims the ATF never needs to be changed under "normal" driving conditions. Tell me what are "normal" conditions...I'm going to do the car soon and the truck when it gets to 50k.

GM claims the plugs are also good for 100k, but I'm starting to wonder how long they really last. I think I'm going to change the Grand Am's this winter, though it will be a royal PITA on the transverse mounted V6!

Coolant I believe will really last the 5 years/150k miles...it looks as good as brand new in both my vehicles.

Also, the dealership told me the diffs fluid didn't need to be changed...changed mine anyway at 30k miles. Rear wasn't too bad, but the front stuff looked like milk...know idea where the water came from! Changed the T/C fluid while I was at it.

Don't know how much it helps, but that's what I've been doing to my GM vehicles.

Matt

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 06:53 PM

Hey Matt S how much ATF doid you have to put in the T case? I have an NP 241, but they are all probably pretty close in capacity.

90K5
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2000, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used to just fill the t case till the fluid comes out of the fill hole. Synthetic oil is better. I'm using mobil 1 now in my silverado. I check to see ho many mpg i get and i noticed it picked up 1 to 2 mpg. no i am not making it up. but it has been consistant untill my oil starts to get over the 3000 mark. My trucks oil change interval is 7000 miles. The book doesn't mention any other oil chage interval. I still change the oil every 3k. I worked for GM dealers and we change the trans fluid around 30k even on the newer cars with the dextron III. I have heard that once you put dextron III in any trans that used the older dextron stuff you will never have to change it. GM never specifies when to change diff fluid. If you do change it go for the synthetic my 99 came from the factory with it.

<font color=red>'99 Silverado</font color=red> <font color=blue>'79 Blazer</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode