What's a 73 Chevy Worth? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 03:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What\'s a 73 Chevy Worth?

I'm looking at buying a really clean 73 Chevy K10 Custom Deluxe 4X4. It has a 350 and auto tranny. Really clean. What is a reasonable price range for this truck? I have a 4Runner that's great but NEED this truck for hauling lumber and boats. Anything I should look for when buying a Chevy of this year? I've heard the steering box is suspect to breaking. Anything else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 06:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What\'s a 73 Chevy Worth?

hmmm start at 1500.00 then add/subtract for rust, dents, mechanical troubles. I buoght mine for 1500.00 and it is clean but bare bones no options came stock with a 250. But if it is stock and really clean, runs well, go for it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2000, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Bad_Bowtie, 1500-2000 is reasonable. People I have talked to try to find a 79, if that is the body style you are after, as they tend to rust less. Check the wheel wells on the box (cloth and magnet trick) to check for bondo/rust repair. Also look at cab corners in a similar fashion. I had a 71 2wd with the 350 and TH 350 and on a good day got 13-15 on the highway. All in all, they are pretty good trucks. If you can find a beater for hauling wood that is mechanically sound you may get for closer to 1000.

FC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2000, 01:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

$1500 sounds about right. I bought a 74 about 10 years ago for $1000, owned it for 5 years. In that time, I did a qwicky paint job, and a few minor odds and ends. I also enjoyed that truck for 5+ years, and it was very reliable. Sold it for $1500. It still needed a lot of work, and to be honest, I wish I kept that truck. I could have put about $5000 into it, and still be farther a head, compare to what I own now. 94 GMC, that I bought with a bad NV4500 and needing a fender, bumper, and grill. After all the repairs I still have less than $8500 into it. I could have built a pretty nice 74 Chevy if I put $8500 into it.

Thanks, Ray

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2000, 06:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It isn't the steering box that is susceptible to breaking, it is the frame in the area it mounts to that might crack. Easy fix anyway, and http://www.offroaddesign.com has a triangulation brace that not only keeps it from cracking, it improves the tracking for about $100. If it is already cracked, the fix is $65 for the kit, it is then welded in. Definitely worth doing the brace kit from Off Road Design for insurance.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]<font color=blue>[b]'79 K5 with 406 TPI
http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode